Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So I want a hundo case gauge, but...

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Much like CZ, Walther chambers are typically on the tight end of the spectrum, so this is IMO the most likely scenario, unfortunately, which is why I started this thread in the first place.
    Only thing to add then: A reamer is ~$75, a gunsmith would probably charge you about the same. Reaming it yourself is fairly easy unless the barrel has been hardened. I tried to ream the throat on a nitrided barrel once and destroyed the reamer, while doing nothing to the barrel.

There is a strong probability that my Tanfo chambers are hard chromed; I am investigating getting a carbide throater. A regular reamer lightly applied appeared to get no traction at all, we backed offbefore damaging the reamer.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Some Walthers have a step in the distal end of the chamber where the ID is reduced a little. I wonder if that could occaisionally catch the edge of a case causing it to fail the plunk test when the force of the slide would have been enough to send the round hone. Not sure if the P99 series or CZs have the same thing but VP9s do. Just food for thought.

Totally missed the stepped chamber possibility. Good catch.

My P99 does have the stepped chamber, but I'm fairly certain that's not the issue on the rounds failing the plunk test; they're not sticking that far out of the chamber. (Based on the ring the step leaves around fired cases, it's 3/16 or maybe even 1/4 inch from the end of the chamber, which would be VERY noticeable when plunking completed rounds.) Good thought, though!

User Tag List