Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sobering article from a Good Samaritian

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    “Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return”

edit the rest, simply isn't worth it.
    You edited this post, so I will let it be, with my own quoted response;

Dwight Eisenhower,
    Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.
    Predisposing your actions to fulfill a romantic notion is neither wise nor brave. I admire your personal conviction, but I don't condone it, nor do I treat it as absolute, it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Dwight Eisenhower:
    Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.
    Predisposing your actions to fulfill a romantic notion is neither wise nor brave. I admire your personal conviction, but I don't condone it, nor do I treat it as absolute, it isn't.
    I think there is merit in what you say...but by the same token I am somewhat predisposed to VDM's point of view on this, romantic or not.

But apropos of nothing, since you've established a train theme...in the words of the wonderful Rosanne Cash...

My baby thinks he's a train. He makes his whistle stop, then he's gone again.
    Gal knows how to make her point, even if she is playing for the other team these days.
    Last edited by blues; 03-27-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

What exactly is "honor" in this context?

What does one have to do to be "honorable" in terms of helping a 3rd party involved in what looks to be a domestic case?

Monitor from a safe distance, call 911 and keep them informed of as much detail as possible and maybe let the people know you called 911 so they "knock that shit off" if you can do so safely? Or do you need to risk your life to help people before that is considered honorable?

You are your brother's keeper - but who is your brother? There is a hierarchy of obligations, and strangers are lower on my list than family and friends. Doesn't mean I won't help, but it means that the help I give will be that which I deem I can afford to give.

Society does not have a right to demand you take an unreasonable risk for strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    In this case, if I were presume to speak for VoodooMan, it's his own internal sense of how he should conduct himself.

I'm totally not going to bust his balls for feeling that way. I don't even disagree with him, in the sense that most people would use this term, and I respect him immensely for conducting himself in that way. My own personal sense of identity used to be very much like that.

It just isn't any more.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post

What does one have to do to be "honorable" in terms of helping a 3rd party involved in what looks to be a domestic case?
    It looked (present tense) to be a domestic case, it looked (past tense) to be a guy potentially beating a woman to death (based on the report of the GS/only real witness). Difficult decision I can't call. Pull your blaster out and live with it or watch a woman be beaten to death, not intervene, and live with that. Life is hard.

Some of the worst losses of life we've suffered in both military and law enforcement operations can be traced back to a failure of pre-operation intelligence. Variable X was different on the ground then what the mission prepared for ,and that difference resulted in ceremonial services and broken families.

On the individual level the risk is no less grave. Charging into a pre-existing feud gun drawn is a good way to wreck people's lives- how would anyone here feel if they drew a gun and fired on a huge, tattooed assailant assaulting a woman ...only to find out he was an undercover cop arresting a female fugitive ?

John Wayne had the benefit of a pre-written script. We in the real world don't have that luxury.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” - JRR Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    “Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return”
    I'll take 17th century French poets for $1000.

What is honorable covers a lot of ground, from ritual suicide to honor killings to virginity.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List