Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Newb Question re: Grip Safety

The R.O. comes with a fairly pronounced bump already, I doubt you'll find a replacement much different. The Wilson in the picture above looks super pronounced because the area above it is cut in deeper. It wouldn't fit on your gun anyways.

Try sliding your hand around to the back of the grip a bit more, that should make it easier to get your thumb on top of the safety (you only need to ride it to keep from bumping it back on, no need to put a lot of pressure on it) and de-activate the grip safety. If that causes trigger reach issues, I'd look at the grips or maybe a shorter trigger (the stock R.O. is a long trigger) option.

I shoot thumb on safety now but in my 1911 heyday in the 80s, thumb locked down with GI safeties. There is footage of Gunsiters shooting the heck out of 1911s thumbs down back in the day. It's not the end of the world if it works.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    You might want to try one of these.

For those with smaller hands or a less than perfect grip, lowering the thumb position usually takes care of the grip safety. IIRC, the original design/concept came from GUNSITE, but others (Wilson, Harrison, et al) offer similar versions, as well.

I didn't even realize those were still around. They do work better with thin grips but are an option. At Gunsite, I used to make them by hand from standard safeties until Ruger started casting them for us. Even did a few for left hand shooters where the lowered paddle was on the right side of the gun and just enough material on the left side for the safety detent.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    You might want to try one of these.

For those with smaller hands or a less than perfect grip, lowering the thumb position usually takes care of the grip safety. IIRC, the original design/concept came from GUNSITE, but others (Wilson, Harrison, et al) offer similar versions, as well.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking and would probably solve this. I don't know if I have small hands. I wear a mid sized 7.5 glove. I definitely have difficulty reaching the decocker without adjusting my grip on a P226 so maybe the thumbs are short

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Like Corey says, the safety can be tweaked. Maybe it would help to understand exactly what it is doing, because it really is pretty simple. The GS just blocks the trigger bow from pushing back to the sear, and "sensitizing" this interaction involves tweaking the spot I circled. But then I also found a Wilson that even has a completely revised shape:
    Attachment 15096
    The surface I pointed the arrow to needs to be higher. Like Corey and JAD said, you can't go backwards. As far as doing any of this yourself, without knowing you I am not going to say you should or shouldn't. Maybe tape or glue something onto the hump to see if that helps first.

ETA: Brownells shows almost thirty options when you search Grip Safety, so yeah there are options...
    Thank you that is very helpful. I like to tinker but am more shade tree than professional. I haven't found the guns I have disassembled to be all that complicated though and have wanted to see the guts of a 1911. Maybe this is a good excuse. I understand any filing is a one way ride.

Hammertime

1911 Newb Question re: Grip Safety

If you think of this pistol as a "one hand gun," it actually works as designed no problem. I have avoided the 1911 before, primarily because of the grip safety. However having obtained one serendipitously, it is a fun study.

My understanding historically is that the grip safety was added for cavalry use so it could be dropped on a lanyard cocked if necessary. Can anyone confirm this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/15816...W.+E+Fairbairn
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 03-26-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    The Magpul grips are slightly thinner as well, cheap and use the standard bushings. Might be worth a try, changing out the bushings can be a pain in the butt.
    Gently, but tried them, and completely not worth it. Get good screwdrivers and be patient and the bushings will come out ok. Slim is slim, and if grips use the standard bushings they aren't.

Esmaralda also makes nice slims. Not as tough but crazy pretty.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Get good screwdrivers and be patient and the bushings will come out ok. Slim is slim, and if grips use the standard bushings they aren't.
    Fair enough, I actually like the Magpuls. I tried a set of CMC super slim grips and hated them. But I wear size 10 gloves.

Right on. I presumed (which makes a pre out of you and me, I guess) that Enel has small hands like me; he could just have skinny hands.
    Ignore Alien Orders

You're likely correct. Sometimes I don't realize my skinny ass has freaky edward scissor hands. Enel, chip mccormick makes some very thin grips, which are nice wood.

User Tag List