Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Newb Question re: Grip Safety

Hammertime

1911 Newb Question re: Grip Safety

I have recently acquired a Springfield Range Officer 1911-A1. This is my first ever experience with a 1911, and I am enjoying learning about it. I have noticed that occasionally during dry fire, when I try to ride my thumb on top of the safety, I will not completely compress the grip safety and will not be able to pull the trigger. The problem with grip is occasional, only maybe one in ten times, but it is enough to make me think I am always at the edge of barely not getting the grip down. I have no problems keeping the grip safety down if I run my thumb below the safety.

Is there any way to improve this? Can the grip safety be adjusted or maybe replaced with one that is more prominent? Are there perhaps different thumb safeties that will not require my thumb to rotate so high to stay on top of them?

Or should I just get away from the idea of riding the thumb safety?

Thanks.

Site Supporter
    I have the same pistol plus other 1911s. I try to get as high a grip as possible and I also run my thumb on the safety. I would advise more dry fire practice to get more reps of drawing with correct grip. There are some different grip safeties that are have a more pronounced "bump" to help insure the grip safety is activated.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    There are some different grip safeties that are have a more pronounced "bump" to help insure the grip safety is activated.
    That is what I was wondering. It wouldn't take much.

I strive to get the web of my hand jammed hard into the beavertail of the grip safety when acquiring the grip, i.e., get as high up on the gun as possible. Might not be the correct solution, others may well have better technique but it works for me.

And I firmly believe the thumb should be on top of the thumb safety regardless.
    Last edited by NETim; 03-25-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I strive to get the web of my hand jammed hard into the beavertail of the grip safety when acquiring the grip, i.e., get as high up on the gun as possible. Might not be the correct solution, others may well have better technique but it works for me.

And I firmly believe the thumb should be on top of the thumb safety regardless.
    I feel like the high grip exacerbates the issue. A lower grip much more reliably releases the grip safety for me.

I googled around a bit and it seems this can take some tinkering. This is not a serious use handgun for me, just an opportunity to explore the design.

Two options that will help. First, you can replace the grip safety with one that has a larger bump at the bottom as mentioned before. Two, have a gunsmith sensitize the grip safety. A sensitized grip safety only needs to be depressed a small amount to allow the pistol to fire but will still prevent the pistol from firing when it is not depressed. I would not recommend doing that yourself unless you are fairly familiar with the insides of a 1911. It requires some care in doing to avoid ending up with a grip safety that no longer functions. Any reasonably good 1911 smith can do it for a reasonable price.

You might want to try one of these.

For those with smaller hands or a less than perfect grip, lowering the thumb position usually takes care of the grip safety. IIRC, the original design/concept came from GUNSITE, but others (Wilson, Harrison, et al) offer similar versions, as well.

Last edited by 41magfan; 03-26-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

1911 Newb Question re: Grip Safety

You may be able to fix this without altering the guts of the gun (thumb safeties and grip safeties are non-trivial to fit). Go to vz grips and buy some slim grips and bushings. The problem will go away and you won't be moving metal.
    Last edited by JAD; 03-26-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

The Magpul grips are slightly thinner as well, cheap and use the standard bushings. Might be worth a try, changing out the bushings can be a pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Is there any way to improve this? Can the grip safety be adjusted or maybe replaced with one that is more prominent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Two options that will help. First, you can replace the grip safety with one that has a larger bump at the bottom as mentioned before. Two, have a gunsmith sensitize the grip safety. A sensitized grip safety only needs to be depressed a small amount to allow the pistol to fire but will still prevent the pistol from firing when it is not depressed. I would not recommend doing that yourself unless you are fairly familiar with the insides of a 1911. It requires some care in doing to avoid ending up with a grip safety that no longer functions. Any reasonably good 1911 smith can do it for a reasonable price.
    Like Corey says, the safety can be tweaked. Maybe it would help to understand exactly what it is doing, because it really is pretty simple. The GS just blocks the trigger bow from pushing back to the sear, and "sensitizing" this interaction involves tweaking the spot I circled. But then I also found a Wilson that even has a completely revised shape:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 496
Size:  27.6 KB
    The surface I pointed the arrow to needs to be higher. Like Corey and JAD said, you can't go backwards. As far as doing any of this yourself, without knowing you I am not going to say you should or shouldn't. Maybe tape or glue something onto the hump to see if that helps first.

ETA: Brownells shows almost thirty options when you search Grip Safety, so yeah there are options...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-26-2017 at 09:51 AM.

User Tag List