Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911 Newb Question re: Grip Safety

Hammertime
    I spent some time looking at why I am not reliably gripping the grip safety with the thumb on safety. A high grip combined with reaching higher with the thumb causes most pressure to go into the elbow of the grip safety. Some pressure from the thumb web actually pushes up on the beavertail with a tendency to de- activate the safety. It is not a question of hand size so much as how much meat one has in the thumb muscles to come into contact with the lower bulge on the grip safety.

For now I will grip with the thumb low and maybe add some tape to build up the upper vertical portion of the GS.

I hate to mess with the activation as it appears nicely tuned currently, and think I would prefer a lower, ambi safety if anything.

Thank you for all the great education and input.

Please don't grip with the thumb low, it makes the baby Thor cry.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    It is not a question of hand size so much as how much meat one has in the thumb muscles to come into contact with the lower bulge on the grip safety.
    First, I promise I'm actually trying to help...
    I can promise you a lack of meaty hands is not your problem. I have skinny, thin fingers and hands, no meat and you can see the imprint of the grip safety after I put the pistol down. I have no idea if these pictures will help at all, but try getting thumb web palm area positioned in a good spot, then adjust the trigger pull distance/grip circumference to make sure you can hold on and manipulate the trigger.
    Name:  IMG_0761.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  93.3 KBName:  IMG_0762.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  69.9 KBName:  IMG_0763.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  79.2 KB
    Last edited by busdriver; 03-26-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    First, I promise I'm actually trying to help...
    I can promise you a lack of meaty hands is not your problem. I have skinny, thin fingers and hands, no meat and you can see the imprint of the grip safety after I put the pistol down. I have no idea if these pictures will help at all, but try getting thumb web palm area positioned in a good spot, then adjust the trigger pull distance/grip circumference to make sure you can hold on and manipulate the trigger.
    Name:  IMG_0761.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  93.3 KBName:  IMG_0762.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  69.9 KBName:  IMG_0763.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  79.2 KB
    Helpful and our hands look alike.

Caspian has had for years a vertical bump grip safety, https://www.caspianarms.com/product-.../grip-safeties

Pretty much wherever your palm hits that sucker, it'll deactivate the safety. I've always been a bit surprised that they didn't gain more market traction in the 1911 world; SIG-Sauer had them for several years as the OEM grip safety on their GSR/1911 line, but eventually they too went to the more commonplace horizontal memory/speed bump.

I have it on my Gen 2 GSR XO, and I've always been very pleased with it. Some 1911 purists consider it to be aesthetically challenged, but I'm a "function over style" kinda 1911 user.

Best, Jon

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Caspian has had for years a vertical bump grip safety, https://www.caspianarms.com/product-.../grip-safeties

Pretty much wherever your palm hits that sucker, it'll deactivate the safety. I've always been a bit surprised that they didn't gain more market traction in the 1911 world; SIG-Sauer had them for several years as the OEM grip safety on their GSR/1911 line, but eventually they too went to the more commonplace horizontal memory/speed bump.

I have it on my Gen 2 GSR XO, and I've always been very pleased with it. Some 1911 purists consider it to be aesthetically challenged, but I'm a "function over style" kinda 1911 user.

Best, Jon
    Thanks. That will definitely do the trick.

It was one of the specific components picked by Matt MacLearn for the original GSR build. Matt was exceptionally clear-minded and discerning in his component selections-the initial hiccups the GSR encountered had to do with some rather naive expectations on SIG's part that you could merely accumulate choice components and they'd be easily assembled into a finished gun...not so much in 1911 world, especially regarding outside vendor components, often specifically manufactured slightly oversized to be custom-fitted into the end-user's specific 1911...

That, combined with some QC issues with components from some of the vendors and an initially undersized 1911 assembly line...

This situation morphed into SIG assuming production responsibilities for receivers, slides and barrels, providing higher quality components (along with machine cut 25 LPI front-strap checkering and, on most models, a set of Novak tritium nightsights AND a lowered purchase price. These "Gen 2" guns were a golden period for SIG 1911 users for a relatively brief period (approximately 2006-2007, by my observation), as SIG slowly, then with an accelerated pace abandoned the initial exceptionally high-quality industry-standard components for lower quality offshore and/or MIM components, substituting, in my opinion, "bling" options and multiple model choices/options over qualitative substance.

While their current offerings aren't bad per se, they're nowhere what the Gen 2 guns were, or what they could be. But they are acceptable for most 1911 hobbyists or casual/occasional users.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-30-2017 at 11:22 AM.

User Tag List