Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New duty pistol – SIG P320 Carry 9mm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    These were supposed to arrive last October so I’ve had plenty of time to acquire some support gear. I reported to the range today to turn in my G23 and receive this new P320 Carry in 9mm. We had about 30 minutes to get our gear switched over and hit the range. Got to fire 150 rounds to get familiar with the pistol then we shot our 50 round qualification.

Attachment 15054

Attachment 15055

My initial impressions are pretty good. The machining appears to be nicely done and the finish is nice and even. It was covered in a lot of oil as expected. I broke it down and ran a patch down the barrel and wiped off the excess oil. The internals looked as they should and I could not see any blemishes.

Attachment 15056

Attachment 15057

Attachment 15058
    It has Siglite sights with a #6 on the front and a #8 rear. All of the 17 round magazines explode nice and smooth from the grip. The trigger is the best part. It’s a lot better than the stock Glock triggers I’ve been accustomed to over the years. I actually prefer a TDA or LEM trigger but this one is awesome for a striker pistol.

Attachment 15059

Attachment 15060

I have a textured medium compact grip frame and a factory compact 15 round mag to try out for a little better concealment. The JM Custom Kydex AIWB wing claw holster appears to be top quality. I have a couple of Safariland ALS holsters to try out and they were solid also.

I’ve not followed the changes to the P320 since they hit the scene but this one has a build date of 02-14-2017 so it’s very new. I noted the plug where safety would be on the DOD models. Not sure if this is new. The slide release works for me and I had lock back on each empty mag. My only gripes are the take down lever is way too big and the sights hit behind the dot for me.

Attachment 15061

Attachment 15062
    The accuracy was very good. I was able to ace the qualification with plenty room to spare from the 25 yd line. It’s very shootable. We were shooting Winchester 147 FMJ as our training round. I did not experience any stoppages. I did notice the Officer shooting to my right had one failure to extract causing a double feed while firing one handed. There were about two more stoppages to the course of fire due to malfunctions which occurred too far down the firing line for me to see. I did hear a few grumblings of “I wish I had my Glock forty back.” Not me, I was happy to turn in my 1997 dated G23 and opted out of the buy it back price of $275.

The biggest goof of the day occurred when it was time to pass out the duty rounds. We’re supposed to get issued the Winchester Ranger T-Series 147 (RA9T). Imagine my surprise when they started passing out the ol’ Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115 (9BP). This old workhorse round will have to do until I can get it swapped out next week.

Overall, the P320 is solid. It’s hard to get excited about it. It seems to have less soul than even a Glock. It’s like shooting a lego blaster, albeit a good shooting one. I can live with it. I still prefer a TDA Sig, Beretta or H&K but I’m quickly turning into a nostalgic old timer.

Attachment 15063

Attachment 15064
    1997 Glock 23s? Wow I thought our 2005 ones were ancient. A little bit off topic,but did y'all have any major issues with parts failure? Sounds like your maintenance and inspections got the department's money's worth out of them. My work is trying to decide whether to replace or refurbish about 200 G3 G23s from 2005.
    Back on topic - this is a great write up and photo spread. Good luck with the new pistol and update when you can.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 04-22-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    1997 Glock 23s? Wow I thought our 2005 ones were ancient. A little bit off topic,but did y'all have any major issues with parts failure? Sounds like your maintenance and inspections got the department's money's worth out of them. My work is trying to decide whether to replace or refurbish about 200 G3 G23s from 2005.
    Back on topic - this is a great write up and photo spread. Good luck with the new pistol and update when you can.
    The 1997 G23 sat in the armory unassigned for about 10 years prior to me dusting it off so I only have the sample of one. It always ran well for me but I never used a WML and I'm not a fan of .40 S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Put 300 more rounds through the P320 yesterday which puts the total round court at 600. So far no malfunctions and the trigger and accuracy continue to impress me. My only complaint remains the oversized take down lever due to it rubbing my left thumb.

My agency received a box full of “updated magazines” from Sig and we turned in our old ones for these new versions. I’ve not heard anything about this change and I’m curious if someone knows the specifics. The base plates are very different but I’m unaware why Sig has made the changes.

Attachment 15837

Attachment 15838

Attachment 15839

Attachment 15840

Attachment 15841

Old magazine on the right which shipped with the pistol in Feb '17 - New version on the left.
    Might have something to do with the baseplates coming off when dropped on hard surfaces. I have no firsthand experience with the P320, but I was at a sig academy class a few years ago when these first came out and I watched a dude with a brand new 320 do a speed reload and have his mag fly apart at his feet. It happened a few times ove the course of the class. Got my attention the first time it happened, because it was a half full mag and bullets, spring and follower went flying in every direction...

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Might have something to do with the baseplates coming off when dropped on hard surfaces. I have no firsthand experience with the P320, but I was at a sig academy class a few years ago when these first came out and I watched a dude with a brand new 320 do a speed reload and have his mag fly apart at his feet. It happened a few times ove the course of the class. Got my attention the first time it happened, because it was a half full mag and bullets, spring and follower went flying in every direction...
    Reminds me of a IDPA match some years ago. Shooting the classifier and this shooter armed with a G21 .45acp is banging away on one of the stages. When the magazine bottom plate just gives way, ejecting the spring, follower and then his ammo to his feet. Funny to all of us, he got a reshoot...

Per the factory armorer class I attended yesterday- the new mags with the squared baseplate retaining tabs are an improved design made to address an issue with spontaneous magazine disassembly. The instructor stated the revision was made in response to an issue that popped up in testing. Although he did not specify which testing, I took it to mean contract testing- so probably the FBI trials, seeing as they won MHS and ICE.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

So the last couple years they've been supplying mags that have an issue? That kinda pisses me off since I've shelled out money on around 20 of the things in various sizes/calibers

I recently switched my competition 320 mags back to OEM baseplates from Springer plates to stay under Production division weight. (I added a tungsten guiderod). I've done maybe 200 mag drops onto hard surfaces. So far, I've not experienced any self-disassembly.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Instead of being pissed off now, why don't you contact them and find out if they'll send you the new basepads? If they won't, then be pissed. No point rushing it.

I have a bunch of P320 mags (more than 20 ), so I'll probably contact them myself.
    I will definitely try that, and if it's a simple matter of changing baseplates that's fine. But I (hopefully mistakenly) had the impression there may be a change to the mag body where the baseplate connects. Mostly due to the fact that the agency above just got all new mags swapped in instead of just new baseplates to put on. Maybe that was just for simplicity and not due to needing actual new mags.

On another note, I wonder if this magplate redesign also correlates to the OEM 21 round 9mm mags as they already have a different base. Couple days ago I ordered a couple of the similar 18 round .40 mags that are supposed to be delivered in a few days. Be interesting to see if they vary from the 21 rounders

A few more pictures to show old vs. new style magazine changes.

Attachment 16103
    New mag on top (17 rounder 9mm) Old style bottom (15 rounder 9mm)

Attachment 16104
    New follower on left

Attachment 16105
    New follower on top

Attachment 16106
    New base plate and retainer on top

As you can see, there are more changes than just the base plate.

User Tag List