Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Frank Proctor 1 Day Performance Pistol Cresson TX 21 Apr 2017

AAR: Frank Proctor 1 Day Performance Pistol Cresson TX 21 Apr 2017

I registered to attend Frank Proctor's 1 day "Performance Pistol" class in Cresson TX on Friday 21 April 2017.

http://www.wayofthegun.us/1-day-fran...april-21-2017/

Purpose of this thread is to document my experience, before, during and after the class, for future reference. The class is showing sold out, so I am hoping there might be others on the forum attending the class to chime in.

The class is going to be held at Triple C Tactical Training, at 14333 Cleburne Highway, Cresson, TX 76035.

http://www.triplectacticaltraining.com/index.html

I picked this class based on the favorable reviews here and elsewhere (example: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....e-Pistol-1-Day) as well as timing and location (I am retired, and my wife and I travel the US in our Airstream Travel Trailer.)

I plan to use my stock production HK VP9, regular open-top Blade Tech kydex range holster, and my BT dual mag pouches on my Ares Belt. I have over 2,000 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 and Speer Lawman 124. I've used all this equipment before. My VP9 has about 3,000 rounds through it.

This will be my first "formal" training class and I'm looking forward to it. I'm a little nervous, being a rookie. I certainly don't want to be "that guy" in the class. But I will keep my eyes and ears open, and try and focus on working hard and learning, so I can get most bang for the buck from Mr. Proctor, the class material, and my fellow students.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I don't know how many mag pouches you have, but 4 on the belt is a good idea. A maglula is a thumbsaver in high round count courses. Take notes, and video too, if possible. A lot of what you get from Frank won't sink in til later.....The ability to review will help.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I don't know how many mag pouches you have, but 4 on the belt is a good idea. A maglula is a thumbsaver in high round count courses. Take notes, and video too, if possible. A lot of what you get from Frank won't sink in til later.....The ability to review will help.
    Thanks, I have 2 dual BT pouches and one single. Guess I will wear em all. Yeah, I learned the trick of carrying my Maglula with me for reloads on the go.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    You'll be fine. Just being aware of the existence of "that guy" means you're not "that guy."
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Well, we arrived in Weatherford TX yesterday. I located a good local indoor range off the I20 Frontage Road today.

I'll be headed there Tuesday evening to blow the cobwebs off and shoot a few magazines, and make sure everything is good to go for Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In your AAR please explain what "Let it Do!" means. I think it's a Zen-like in the zone thing but I'm sure.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    In your AAR please explain what "Let it Do!" means. I think it's a Zen-like in the zone thing but I'm sure.
    I'll take what notes I can. On the surface, I'm not sure what that would mean either.

Took a drive out to locate the range today before it started bucketing with rain.

Based on the address, I arrived at this gate opposite the Fertilizer plant but it was closed and unmarked.

I called and talked to the guy at the number of Triple C. He confirmed they had their signage fall off due to weather but they would have someone at the gate Friday morning for the class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind being there with you. Have a good time, be safe, and learn a lot.

AAR: Frank Proctor 1 Day Performance Pistol Cresson TX 21 Apr 2017

Thoughts after a nights sleep.

Good class, overall. I think my first couple major key takeaways are: (these may not be exact quotes but close)

- "Let your eye shoot the gun" - Meaning ensure a good enough sight picture for what you want to achieve, see the sights, and shoot. Don't wait. After the shot, move to the next objective, whether it's the next target. Then repeat, letting the sights determine when you can press.

- "Draw at a comfortable fluid pace" - Meaning I actually need to slow down, paradoxically. What Frank pointed out what I was gripping so hard on the press out that my sight picture was wobbing. "Is your gun shaking on the press out?" My takeaway was that I need to work on removing unnecessary movement and work on smoother, slower draw that will result in less motion when the sights settle in. "Draw at the speed you shake hands", and "You don't need hand speed, you need hand efficiency" was something I recall hearing.

Wrote down a few biomechanic observations on the draw: Move both hands at the same time. Move the support hand to the waist and touch belt. Move hands with thumbs at right angles. Move support hand onto the frame under at the join. Wrap strong hand thumb down, only after support hand palm fills support side gap. Apply slight pressure on support hand thumb along the frame. Apply strong hand thumb pressure down onto support hand once support hand wrap is completed.

Note: Applying this may have been the source of my three FTLB I had on the day.

And for @JHC: "Let it do!" refers to Frank's concept of allowing the subconcious part of our minds take over and perform the task once the conscious mind has received all the information needed to form the action.

In part he explained this by thinking of approaching a slow corner in a fast car; your brain processes the visual image "there is a curve ahead" (conscious) and then the rest of your brain (subconscious) takes over by lifting the throttle, moving the foot over to the brake, dipping the clutch to start the process of downshifting, steering to ensure the line to the Apex is prepped, etc. all at the same time.

I made some notes through the day, but it's just minor stuff for me to work on and think about.

Frank emphasized trigger finger discipline. Basically if you were looking through the sights is the only time you should be on the trigger; otherwise you want it on the frame. He did this several several times, which I think is a good thing. Obviously he sees many folks on the range; and I guess some were doing it unconsciously.

My gear worked well, aside from the three FTLBs. The VP9 chugged through with no malfunctions at all. I did not lube it during the day. The MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs worked very well; the gel cups continue to be comfortable all day. (I saw a couple guys with Sordins with a headband pad, which I think would help comfort. I found one online for about $20 so I may pick up one of those.)

With four mags in double mag pouches, I ran out of ammo on a couple of the drills. I forgot to pack my additional single mag pouch. Actually the Blade-Tech double mag pouches are kind big in terms of belt real estate on my 34" waist. I may have to look at how the Real Gamers pack multiple mag pouches or at least more than four lol. But for a class they were fine.

Frank made a good comment about running a class with a highriding OWB holster (the kydex kind you see a lot). From his experience, sometimes shirts get untucked and in particular, with these holsters being so close to the body, folks needed to be careful of keeping clothing out of the holster. For my part, I retucked at the breaks; my Blade-Tech OWB range holster did not seem to be that susceptible.

I need a new shooting hat, my old BMW hat is getting really long in the tooth.

The Triple C range complex was quite large, quite a bit larger than I was expecting. They were hosting a few long range rifle shoots as well as other classes; I would guess there were at least 200-300 people. They had a bathroom house near the Range / Bay we were at, but I did not see any vending machines or lunch wagon. I brought 5 water bottles and drank them all, as well as a cold lunch in a cooler, plus snacks etc.

I was pretty surprised how far we had to drive after turning off the main highway. After entering the gate, it was approximately 4.5 miles of gravel road to get to the tactical bays. I parked at a slight angle, and down hill a bit. (On exiting, I slipped a but trying to back up. I put the truck in 4WD low and was able to extract myself.) Word to those arriving in low-slung cars or similar: consider pairing up with a buddy with a truck. We had dry weather in the Weatherford area this week, but if it had been raining, slogging through that 4 miles of gravel road in the wet and mud would not have been a lot of fun.

Last edited by RJ; 04-22-2017 at 09:59 AM.

User Tag List