Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 209: Tactical Conference 2017 Pistol Match Course of Fire

Week 209: Tactical Conference 2017 Pistol Match Course of Fire

Week 209: Tactical Conference 2017 Pistol Match Course of Fire

Results may be posted until April 24th, 2017.

Designed by: Tom Givens
    Range: 5-15 yards
    Target: Two IDPA with 3x5s added to the head, targets spaced 30" apart
    Start position: Hands at sides unless otherwise specified
    Rounds fired: 28

This is the Course of Fire for the Rangemaster Tactical Conference Pistol Match held very recently. Let's all shoot it and see how we can do! We are using a slightly different target than in the actual match, but ours will be pretty close. Many thanks to Tom Givens for sharing it with us, and to hiro for suggesting it for the DotW!

String 1 - 5 yards - Draw and fire 3 rds to the body on T1, then fire 3 rds on the body to T2, then 1 head shot on T1 and 1 head shot on T2.

String 2 - 5 yards - Draw and fire 3 rds on T1, dominant hand only, switch the gun to the non-dominant hand, and fire 3 rds on T2, non-dominant hand only.

String 3 - 7 yards - Begin at Ready, with only 4 rds in the gun. Fire 4 rds on T1, conduct an empty gun reload, and fire 4 rds on T2. *Shooter may transition to a BUG instead of reloading, his choice.

String 4 - 15 yards - Draw and fire 3 rds to T1, drop to a Kneeling Position, and fire 3 rds at T2.

Scoring - your score is your time, plus penalties for any hits outside the best scoring zones.

-0 zone and 3x5 = no penalty
    Head box outside the 3x5 = 1 second per shot
    -1 zone = 2 seconds per shot
    -3 zone and misses = 5 seconds per shot

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment (optional) used
    Raw time
    Penalties
    Total Score

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Pistol, holster, and concealment (optional) used G17 MOS w/DPP USPSA gear. (I will run it again with carry gear, but I have a match this weekend) I started all stages from the Fence to mitigate no concealment.
    Raw time 26.81
    Penalties 2 seconds
    Total Score 28.81

The above score was my first run. I ran it 5 times. My best run was 24.34. I did not have an IDPA target so I used a USPSA and marked the A zone in half and used the upper half.

Site Supporter
    Nice work, Michael! That would have put you in the Top Ten at the match, if you had the common decency to attend. 8^)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Nice work, Michael! That would have put you in the Top Ten at the match, if you had the common decency to attend. 8^)
    Thanks. I am on an every other year schedule for the conference. I did try to get in on the Rangemaster reunion but those tickets were sold out. Don't you worry though, you will have to put up with me at some point this year.

I shot this at the conference and don't recall my penalties. I want to say four points down but it could have been more.
    Glock 17, Sparks VM2, polo
    I dropped to a knee immediately on string 4, brain fade, and that cost me a couple of seconds. I had trigger issues in string 3-- my master grip got weird during the reload and I didn't get pressure on the trigger safety, resulting in a discombobulation.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Gen3 G34, concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt
    Raw time: 15.52
    Penalties: 0
    Total score: 15.52

There is an interesting tension on this one between the pretty easy targets and pretty huge penalties. Shoot careful!

Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Gen3 G34, concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt
    Raw time: 15.52
    Penalties: 0
    Total score: 15.52

There is an interesting tension on this one between the pretty easy targets and pretty huge penalties. Shoot careful!

That is obscene.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I had some of the VSRT targets on hand so I used those. Using my issue M&P40 2.0/TLR from a Raven IWB I shot it clean at 32.62, cutting 11 or so seconds from my score at the Conference. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  96.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    That is obscene.
    I know, I know, I should wear an undershirt. It messes with my draw though, and I just can't have that.
    Lord of the Food Court

Only had time to run this once, but it was a lot of fun and plan to do it again. Thanks Mr_White and Tom Givens.

P30 V2, OWB, Concealed/button down shirt
    Raw time: 25.70
    Penalties: 3x-1 zone= 6 seconds
    Total Score: 31.70

I missed one shot on the second string, second target and two shots on the last string, second target.

15.52 is obscene... Good shooting!

User Tag List