Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a pocket 380

My LCP works, so I went no further. I did have Seecamps when they were the only game in town. Now I'd say there are cheaper, better, slightly larger caliber solutions.

If I were in the market for a .380 today, I'd go with a G42 or working LCP, and skip the rest. Depending on what kind of pocket carry we're talking about, a pocket shield or good holster and a 442/642 is another, and probably better, option. On that note, you might consider a J frame AIWB.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The people I know who carry an LCP have never had any issues. I've also heard good things about the Keltec P3AT. My dad's is beat to crap but still runs like a champ.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I had a LCP, sold it to get a Diamondback DB380, sold that to get another LCP and sold that and now have a Kahr P380 and CW380. The LCPs worked fine but I didn't like the lack of slide stop holding the slide open when empty and the sights are useless. The DB380 had a great trigger and was nicer to shoot but crapped the bed so I couldn't trust it. DB customer service left some to be desired too. The Kahrs work well once they get a few hundred rounds through them and have decent but low sights as well as a slide lock that holds open on the empty magazine. The triggers are long and longish reset but smooth. I only have mine for the NPE type of deep carry but I rarely use them except for maybe beach carry with just a bathing suit shorts where it works well enough.

Not a .380 but s&w 360j or kimber solo may suit.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Have you actually pocketed a 42? It's not THAT bad.

Yes I have. It was almost as large as my Walther PPS M2 and definitely would not fit in a pocket. I'm sure it's a great gun but it's not a large enough difference in size to make me want to carry it instead of the.

The conses seems to be The Ruger LCP custom... why the custom over the LCP2?

To those saying J Frame I already have a Ruger LCR which is great but I'm not as proficient with it as I am with some other options and it isn't quite pocket able either.

I’ve messed around with and/or owned all of the guns on your list with the exception of the PICO. Since I have absolutely no interest in a .380 that is similar in size (or weight) of some 9’s, that narrowed the list of options for me quite a bit.

I had a 1st Gen LCP and while it was totally reliable, the trigger broke so far back that I had issues with manipulating it with my XL (glove size) hands. The 2nd Generation (Standard Model) LCP was improved in 2013 with a shorter trigger pull and enhanced sight “bumps”. To me, those slight improvements made all the difference in the world. The Custom Model - the one with real sights - was nothing but a snag looking for a place to happen and I found it totally unsuitable for pocket carry.

All of my LCP’s (about half a dozen samples and 2400 rds) have been totally reliable with zero malfunctions. I’m certain that keeping them clean and feeding them good ammo is the major contributor to that record, but I don't think I'm "lucky" in any respect regarding reliability.

I routinely shoot mine on standard LE qualification courses of fire (Day back to 25 yards & Night firing back to 15 yards) and my scores are always in the very high 90’s with just a point or two down from shooting clean. I made a single attempt at Dot Torture at 3 and 5 yards with two different LCP’s and my scores on both were clean. 7 rounds in 7 seconds on a B8 target at 10 yards resulted in a score just a few points down. I’m really not sure what more anyone could reasonably expect from a 10 oz pocket pistol.

While I don’t personally care for the new LCP II, every LCP owner that I know of shoots it better than the previous iterations so it’s obviously an improvement in the hands of most shooters. I suspect that I may be an outlier in that respect because I cut my teeth shooting revolvers and DA trigger pulls aren’t too much of an issue.

As always, YMMV.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    I find a Glock 42 fine for pockets. Reliable - now that is crap shoot. Supposedly the new ones work. Take that with a grain of salt. Mine and a friends (just bought recently) had to go back to Glock.

GLOCK 42!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I every so often entertain the idea of getting a pocket 380 for those times I normally would not carry anything. I ususally talk myself out of it because I have trouble finding a pocket 380 that has a decent enough trigger and is reliable. Several years ago I bought a Ruger LCP but it would not fire worth a damn. I tried multiple types of ammo and it just wouldn't cycle. Made a return trip to Ruger to fix it and still didn't work.

Right now I am considering the following:
    • Kahr P380
    • Beretta Pico
    • S&W Bodyguard
    • Ruger LCP or LCP2
    • Colt Mustang
    • Sig P238
    • Glock 42

Part of me knows the Glock 42 will have a good enough trigger and be reliable but it's also so large that it negates the point if getting a gun in 380 in my opinion so I'm inclinded not to get that one.

I like the idea of the Colt and the Sig because people seem to think they are reliable and their triggers are good but I don't like the fact that they have a very small manual safety; my other carry gun is striker fired so I'm leaning towards not getting either of those.

The other Ruger LCP I had as previously stated was not reliable so it kind of soured me on the LCP, though I suppose the LCP 2 is different enough that it might be worth a try if you all seem to think it would do the trick.

I have shot a Bodyguard and it shot well enough but the trigger was very long and it has an even harder to manage safety than the Sig/Colt.

So I guess that leaves the Kahr. I like the one Kahr CW9 I had. It was a little temperamental about the magazines at first but it worked once that got sorted out. I ended up selling it because the trigger was hard to master and I shot the Shield and Walther PPS better on a timer.

I have heard nothing about the Beretta Pico other than that the trigger isn't great and the mag release is very hard to hit but I've never even seen one in person before.

So what say the hive here, are there other guns out there I'm neglecting to mention that are worth considering? Anything new coming on down the line I should wait for? Anyone have some experience with any of the models above that they could care to recommend one?
    Glock 42 gets my vote!!!! The Glock 42 is a really good shooter the recoil is almost zero. Just stay away from the S&W Bodyguard 380 the smith carried like a dream but when I took it to the range for the initial test run my large hands would hit the mag release button halfway through a magazine no matter how I changed my grip this would occur I had to sell it soon after that

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I’ve messed around with and/or owned all of the guns on your list with the exception of the PICO. Since I have absolutely no interest in a .380 that is similar in size (or weight) of some 9’s, that narrowed the list of options for me quite a bit.

I had a 1st Gen LCP and while it was totally reliable, the trigger broke so far back that I had issues with manipulating it with my XL (glove size) hands. The 2nd Generation (Standard Model) LCP was improved in 2013 with a shorter trigger pull and enhanced sight “bumps”. To me, those slight improvements made all the difference in the world. The Custom Model - the one with real sights - was nothing but a snag looking for a place to happen and I found it totally unsuitable for pocket carry.

All of my LCP’s (about half a dozen samples and 2400 rds) have been totally reliable with zero malfunctions. I’m certain that keeping them clean and feeding them good ammo is the major contributor to that record, but I don't think I'm "lucky" in any respect regarding reliability.

I routinely shoot mine on standard LE qualification courses of fire (Day back to 25 yards & Night firing back to 15 yards) and my scores are always in the very high 90’s with just a point or two down from shooting clean. I made a single attempt at Dot Torture at 3 and 5 yards with two different LCP’s and my scores on both were clean. 7 rounds in 7 seconds on a B8 target at 10 yards resulted in a score just a few points down. I’m really not sure what more anyone could reasonably expect from a 10 oz pocket pistol.

While I don’t personally care for the new LCP II, every LCP owner that I know of shoots it better than the previous iterations so it’s obviously an improvement in the hands of most shooters. I suspect that I may be an outlier in that respect because I cut my teeth shooting revolvers and DA trigger pulls aren’t too much of an issue.

As always, YMMV.

Really good notes thank you.

The LCP I had was a model with the stainless slide so I wonder if that was why mine wasn't very reliable. Have any of your LCPs been stainless models? How often do you clean them?

Why don't you like the LCP 2?
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 03-24-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Really good notes thank you.

The LCP I had was a model with the stainless slide so I wonder if that was why mine wasn't very reliable so I wonder if any of yours were Stainless too.

Why don't you like the LCP 2?
    I had a stainless model briefly, one of my Brothers has a stainless model, and my Daughter has a stainless model - they all work just fine. Ruger CS is pretty darn good these days so should someone have an issue, they'll most likely make it right.

My dislike for the LCP II is purely subjective;

Personally, I can manage a 7 pound DA trigger easier than I can a 7 pound SA trigger when the gun doing the launching weighs 10 ounces. Specifically, I have tendency to lean too much on the newer trigger's "wall" than I do the "rolling break" of the older model's trigger design.

Secondly, while the sights on the LCP II are a bit larger, the dimensions leave very little "light" around the front sight and I just can't pick them up any faster than the previous design.

If I was so inclined, I could readily adapt to the new trigger and open up the rear sight notch to fix those two issues, but the last round hold open feature and the "improved" frame design just aren't worth the squeeze.

I have another concern but I don't want to even mention it unless I can replicate the issue in another shooting session.

Again, most people find the new LCP II to be a better mouse trap and I understand why - it just doesn't warrant a change for me at this point.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List