Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a pocket 380

Had a Kahr, choked on everything (including gold dots) except Hornady XTP.

Sold it for a 642, painted the front sight orange, loaded it with bonded 38s... good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Seecamp .32s are not great gun choices. They often break within a few hundred rounds and then the company takes forever to fix them and is impossible to communicate with. I have had this happen with 3 different Seecamps over the years.
    Sorry to hear this. I had better luck with my Seecamps. That said, they're both still gone, mainly because they come with serious limitations so far as shooting performance goes.

I'd trust a seecamp off the shelf more than a Glock 42 off the shelf, for me; clearly, everyone's experience can vary on all these guns. That said, I hasten to add that we are discussing and adding data points around which common small gun is *least* likely to crap out; pocket semiauotos are just so much more problematic than service sized machines. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I made a single attempt at Dot Torture at 3 and 5 yards with two different LCP’s and my scores on both were clean. 7 rounds in 7 seconds on a B8 target at 10 yards resulted in a score just a few points down. I’m really not sure what more anyone could reasonably expect from a 10 oz pocket pistol.

Nice shooting, Tex.

Site Supporter
    LCP II. Trigger is amazing for a pocket pistol and way better than the original. Sights are actually usable and so far mine has eaten every type of ammo. It also seems to handle recoil with no issues.

It is interesting... Kahr CW380 has been pretty reliable for me before I sold it to my buddy... He carries it daily and shoots it weekly... We've had no issues.

Kahr is goofy - some of the guns run REALLY well, then some of them run like utter dog shit.

The Kahr CW380 and P380 are really really tiny (that is why I sold it: Truckasaurus hands). They're truly "pocketable". I definitely can't pocket my PM9...

If you're leaning to the G42, and it is pretty big to pocket carry, maybe consider going to a G43 in a good AIWB holster (JM makes some nice ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    It is interesting... Kahr CW380 has been pretty reliable for me before I sold it to my buddy... He carries it daily and shoots it weekly... We've had no issues.

Kahr is goofy - some of the guns run REALLY well, then some of them run like utter dog shit.

The Kahr CW380 and P380 are really really tiny (that is why I sold it: Truckasaurus hands). They're truly "pocketable". I definitely can't pocket my PM9...

If you're leaning to the G42, and it is pretty big to pocket carry, maybe consider going to a G43 in a good AIWB holster (JM makes some nice ones)
    Interesting... I had no issue pocketing a CM9, it just wasn't all that reliable (and I didn't like the trigger and recoil spring).

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Interesting... I had no issue pocketing a CM9, it just wasn't all that reliable (and I didn't like the trigger and recoil spring).
    I can pocket it in a parka or heavier clothing, but, not in summer attire...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

The Kahr CW380 and P380 are really really tiny (that is why I sold it: Truckasaurus hands). They're truly "pocketable".
    Yep - that's my experience as well.

I went through hundreds of rounds in two different P380's .... was inconvenienced by five or six trips back to the factory .... and ultimately one of those guns received a new frame, but they still proved to be unreliable. I could get either gun to malfunction on demand with a less than perfect grip and the variety of malfunctions would go from failures to feed to weak firing pin strikes. Shoot-ability with those little guns was VERY good however, and I really wanted them to work. But, I mentally lost faith in that platform and moved on.

The "feast or famine" Kahr paradigm being what it is, I have two friends that own multiple Kahr pistols in .380 and 9mm that work flawlessly. One of them (a CW380) I personally took from the box (brand new) and shot 100+ rounds through it without a glitch. I held the gun every wrong way possible (and still maintain control) and I couldn't get the gun to choke. The owner reports the gun continues to work 100%.

I routinely recommend Kahr's, but always with the stipulation that one be willing to part with it (usually at a loss) if it doesn't work well right out of the gate. I went through several hundred dollars worth of "break-in" ammo in my Kahr's for nothing, and that coupled with the loss I took on both guns upon selling them proved to be a rather costly experiment.

LCP's are cheap. I have carry guns and a designated training gun. When the training gun eventually pukes, Ruger will very likely give me another one.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I have considered getting an LCP 2 since they're pretty cheap

I like the size of the Kahr but not the trigger

I think if you're going for a revolver like the LCR or a J frame you might as well get a G43 or other single stack 9mm (this goes for the G42 as well, the G43 is not that much bigger)

Help me decide on a pocket 380

My Gen2 LCP has been good. It's much smaller than a p238 or G43, and fits a niche for me when I need a very concealable gun. The 238 has been reliable but I never use it because the G43 is about the same size.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-24-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I went to the store today and the guy behind the counter let me compare the LCP 2, Glock 42 and my current carry gun the Walther PPS M2. (Not my actual carry gun obviously but the model they had in store.)

I learned two things:

First the new grip on the LCP is actually wider than the Glock 42. The slide is thinner but in order to make that grip more comfortable they made the gun's grip wider... and while that made it more comfortable that made me slightly less interested in the LCP 2.

Second the LCP is smaller but not that much smaller than the Glock 42; however the Glock 42 is not that much smaller than the Walther PPS M2 I currently carry.

The only reason to compromise on caliber to go from a 9mm to a 380 was to reduce weight and size but the size wasn't that substantial and either LCP, LCP 2 or Glock 42 are much lighter than my PPS but not that much lighter than a snubby... though I'd likely shoot any of the 380s better than a snubby because I'm just more familiar with them.

Basically I'm no closer to making a decision
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 03-25-2017 at 12:03 AM.

User Tag List