Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Which AR-15 5.56 magazines are best?

*I should add: eventually developed these problems. Meaning, out of the bag they might be fine, but they wouldn't make it through a class. I also mark my mags and keep track of malfunctions. They were CONSTANTLY malfunctioning. Mostly, failure to feed.

I have mostly moved away from magpul and use aluminum gi mags now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    They've worked OK so far, but for a 5.56mm gun I can't see any logical reason to choose them over USGI aluminum mags.
    Would availability be a logical reason? Several stores appear to sell them locally.

And what exactly is an USGI magazine? Obviously, not every aluminium body magazine out there. How, short of enlisting in the US military and stealing a bunch of magazines, does one tell an USGI magazine from other aluminium magazines? And where does one get them, outside of the USA?

Actually, comparing prices, Brownells-brand magazines are about the same price as C-Products magazines, or cheaper when bough in bulk. Am I interpreting things correctly, and that the better course of action would be simply to go all in on the Brownells magazines?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been using these:

http://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_m...ar15_magazines

Sent from my iPad
    These are the right ones.

Crap-products are to be avoided.

I mostly use GI mags, but if you haven't tried the Tango Down Arc mags, I highly recommend them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Would availability be a logical reason? Several stores appear to sell them locally.

And what exactly is an USGI magazine? Obviously, not every aluminium body magazine out there. How, short of enlisting in the US military and stealing a bunch of magazines, does one tell an USGI magazine from other aluminium magazines? And where does one get them, outside of the USA?

Actually, comparing prices, Brownells-brand magazines are about the same price as C-Products magazines, or cheaper when bough in bulk. Am I interpreting things correctly, and that the better course of action would be simply to go all in on the Brownells magazines?
    I can't speak to availability outside of the US, but Brownell's and NHMTG are frequent suppliers to the US military, and are both good to go IMHO.

Sounds like Brownells magazines it is, then!

Thank you for your help.

Here's another reason PMags aren't my first choice: the second round can tip up, causing very tough insertion:
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I mostly use GI mags, but if you haven't tried the Tango Down Arc mags, I highly recommend them.
    I'm a huge fan of the ARC mags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is important to note that NHMTG is shutting down ops but Okay industries (a long time producer of quality military contract magazines) is selling to civilians now with magpul followers and calling them "surefeed" magazines. Okay (despite the ironic name) are good to go.

User Tag List