Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which AR-15 5.56 magazines are best?

Which AR-15 5.56 magazines are best?

I can't help but think, just like 1911 magazines, all AR-15 magazines are not created equal. I lean toward PMags. What about MagPul followers in GI magazines. What about MagPul "Ranger" bases plates for USGI as well as PMags? Do the Ranger base plates help in using the 30 round magazine for a monopod when shooting prone?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    To quote Subject Matter Expert Sean M, who has likely thrown away more AR mags than I've bought:

GI mags break. PMags break. H&K Mags break. The other cheapo knock off hunk of shit mags break.
    I'll take his word on the latter, because I only buy the first three. Well, actually, the first two; I've kinda cooled off on the HundK mags. All my GI mags, I think, have Magpul followers in them, except for the newer Brownells ones I got.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Buy a known good like PMags, Lancers, or GI with Magpul followers. Remembers that magazines are expendable, wear items. Rinse, repeat.
    #RESIST

Pmags first. They will take longer to become unserviceable then GIs.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Blue Bullets Team dude

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    I can't help but think, just like 1911 magazines, all AR-15 magazines are not created equal. I lean toward PMags. What about MagPul followers in GI magazines. What about MagPul "Ranger" bases plates for USGI as well as PMags? Do the Ranger base plates help in using the 30 round magazine for a monopod when shooting prone?
    I run PMAGs exclusively in my AO with no complaints or issues. If a mag breaks or becomes otherwise unserviceable, it gets shitcanned. Don't fall in love with your gear. replace it as needed.

I am all about GI mags based on price (3:2 for GI vs anything else) but the new Lancer AWM's are pretty kick ass.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I run Pmag 30 rd'ers on my room-broom and USGI 20 rd'ers on my SPR. I have not tried the 20rd Pmags but I would buy some if I did not have the GI's that I have... For the cost, you really cant beat the Pmag IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I am all about GI mags based on price (3:2 for GI vs anything else) but the new Lancer AWM's are pretty kick ass.
    The AWM's I was running at the KD Carbine class last April at USTC became inop quickly due to a small amount of sand, while PMAGs and ARCs continued to drive on. I was even less impressed with Lancer's response to my issue. Pass.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Bell View Post
    I have not tried the 20rd Pmags but I would buy some if I did not have the GI's that I have...
    I have had one interesting issue with a 20rd Pmag. It was obviously due to user error, caused by my finger riding the mag release button, but it totally tied up the gun and took two people to un-screw it...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

We've had the best luck with 30 rd PMAGS and 30 rd USGI aluminum using Magpul followers. The old school straight sided 20 rd USGI aluminum mags also tended to run well.

User Tag List