Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast and Friendly Brass is working on an auto drive for the Dillon Xl 650

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I've got the 550 version if you want to try it.
    I also have the 550 version (bought before I had the 650). I didn't love it, I thought it was requiring most of the force because it was pushing a great deal of pilot up into the pocket that needed to be extracted. So I chucked it in my drill press and tweaked it with small files and scotch brite and it requires a lot less force and seems to still accept the primers (I only did a few) OK. But then I tweaked my SuperSwage to be a lot faster and I will probably just use it.

If anybody wants a try/buy on my Swageit please PM me, I am a motivated seller. The punches are available separately if you would want to restore it to the original shape.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    So if you were a #PoorFag with a 650, you'd buy a MBF (Mr Bullet Feeder) for the empty station on a 650 when not using a powder check?
    Absolutely. The Dillon Powder Measure has been quite reliable for me - unless foreign matter gets in to the powder causing clogs or the cast aluminum parts crack/break.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I appreciate your guy's perspectives on the automation thing. I've loaded 20k/year the last 4 or 5 years on my stock 650 and it has worked like a charm. Part of my rational buying the bullet feeder was that it'll be compatible with a 1050 if/when I take that step.

I like the concept of the additional insurance of the powder check die, but I've found the Dillon Powder Measure to be exceptionally reliable also. I'll likely experiment with the bullet feeder replacing it and keeping seating/crimping separate, at least initially.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I appreciate your guy's perspectives on the automation thing. I've loaded 20k/year the last 4 or 5 years on my stock 650 and it has worked like a charm. Part of my rational buying the bullet feeder was that it'll be compatible with a 1050 if/when I take that step.

I like the concept of the additional insurance of the powder check die, but I've found the Dillon Powder Measure to be exceptionally reliable also. I'll likely experiment with the bullet feeder replacing it and keeping seating/crimping separate, at least initially.
    That, and the Frankfort Arsenal primer tube filler have been the best investments outside of moving from a Hornady LNL AP to a Dillon 650XL. Automating the processes that involve orientation saves a huge amount of time.

Well, the MBF arrived this week. Spent a couple hours taking my time installing it and ran 600 or so through it for a match this weekend. Still have some minor tuning to suss out; I'm getting a handful of flipped bullets every 100 rounds or so. But it's a pretty minor inconvenience at this point given how much it streamlines things. I frankly feel like an idiot for having waiting so long to buy one.

"A big step..." indeed.

Also, it's currently taking the place of my powder check die so as to not mess with my seating/crimping process, at this point anyway.

t
    Last edited by taadski; 04-02-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Well, the MBF arrived this week. Spent a couple hours taking my time installing it and ran 600 or so through it for a match this weekend. Still have some minor tuning to suss out; I'm getting a handful of flipped bullets every 100 rounds or so. But it's a pretty minor inconvenience at this point given how much it streamlines things. I frankly feel like an idiot for having waiting so long to buy one.

"A big step..." indeed.

Also, it's currently taking the place of my powder check die so as to not mess with my seating/crimping process, at this point anyway.

t
    I've been taking a flashlight and resting it ontop of the toolhead when reloading, over the hole in the middle. Makes it cake to watch the powder charge - with W231 a double charge is nearly an overflow event, and painfully obvious.

I will say since adding a Prarie Dog powder baffle my charges have been 100% consistent, regardless of if I'm just starting a session/middle, or if the powder tube is 1/4 or 3/4 full. Makes a huge difference. With how repeatable this setup is, a powder check does no good but to make beeps when a .380 finds its way in, or I'm ending a session.

Instead of the powder check, my eyes do a quick scan as the ram comes down - doesn't take but a second to verify all the below in this order:
    crimp station - does the round look normal (easy check for a .380 brass, if the primer station didn't eject it from the shell plate)
    Bullet drop - correct orientation
    After ram is down - powder charge look normal

"A big step..." indeed.

t
    Installation and tuning can take a while - don't be satisfied with sub-optimal performance. Don't overill it or you can get a bullet stuck under the little 'ejector flipper thing and this will result in upside down bullets.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I don't think I had more than 50 or so in the hopper at a time, FWIW. I suspect I may need the fine tune the adjustment of that little ramp flipper widget a bit.

Thanks for the info. I've been enjoying all the reloader tinkering threads. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I've been taking a flashlight and resting it on top of the toolhead when reloading, over the hole in the middle.
    Gads, why didn't I ever think of that. Just made this from stuff I had on hand (including a little JB Weld):
    Name:  Dillon Light.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  Case.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  44.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I will say since adding a Prairie Dog powder baffle my charges have been 100% consistent
    Just ordered one of these, thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-03-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Site Supporter
    Drop it in the middle hole of the tool head of it will fit in between the nuts, and nothing else is needed . Provides enough light to hit every station as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List