Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you use if all you have is .22LR?

Extra style points awarded for going with the Beretta Model 70.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I've got a 22 conversion for my 1911s. Aside from the practice/plinking benefit, I've always thought that my 1911 in 45 along with the conversion unit in 22LR would be a pretty versatile combo.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    I'd rather pack 200 rounds of 22lr in a bug out bag than 200 rounds of 45acp.

If the only caliber you have is 22lr for pistol /rifle, what would suggest? I'm opting for CCI Stingers.
    Is the reason you only have a 22 because you choose not to carry 200 rds of 45, or some other reason?

If you only have a 22, then youd only have whatever 22 you had. Id choose something else if for some very difficult to imagine situation occurred and Id be on foot. I may choose to take A 22, but not as an only choice. Why would we HAVE to take 200 rds of 45? How about 200 rds of 9? Or 38s? Or a lesser number that wasn't a burden? And still take some 22s for the 22 target pistol in the shoulder rig?

If I'm going anywhere, it will likely be by vehicle, and I cant recall only having a 22 and 22 ammo with me at any point in my (semi-)adult life.

I guess I'm not very good at these sort of questions.

CCI subsonic 40gr HP (which is actually standard velocity). Huge hollowpoint, hits like a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Extra style points awarded for going with the Beretta Model 70.

I actually carried an 87BB for a short period of time when it was my only gun. Spit lead something fierce and I sold it as quick as I could. Always wanted to own a 70, but have only put a few rounds through them. It was in Israel though, and I thought it was pretty cool, given who handed me the gun. :-)

I never found Stingers to be acceptably accurate in much of anything I've ever owned and they're just a bit less reliable - generally speaking - than most hi-velocity stuff.

When I want a little more oomph than Standard or Hi-Velocity loadings can provide, I use the CCI Velocitor load. They're about 200 fps faster than Hi-Vel stuff and accuracy is pretty good (sub 1" at 50 yds) in most of my guns.

The only downside to using them is availability .... they're about as rare as chicken teeth most of the time.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

The thing about 22 ammo is any particular brand or type may or may not shoot really well in any individual gun. Using the loads that shoot best in your exact individual gun, or at least acceptably well for the purpose, is more important than choosing it for its power or whatever. For small game shooting, hollow points have always worked best, but the older Remington Vipers (I think) with the truncated cone flat point killed squirrels well.

If I absolutely have to tote only a .22lr, I'll go with a good S&W 617 4".

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Where are you bugging out to? Away from what? Is the stinger accurate in your guns? Do you have suppressors?

Southnarc is really the guy to ask about this.
    Dick.

Site Supporter
    Probably a 22 mag...or a FiveSeven 😂

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List