Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9A3 questions

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    It signifies nothing significant about Berettas future plans for either model.
    I think it does. The M9A3 gives the dovetailed front sight, without the Brigadier slide, which was a selling point for the 92A1, but is otherwise compatible with the rest of the M9/92 line-up, while the 92A1 is not.

So do you guys think if I took my 92A1 slide off and put in on a 92 FS, it would function? Or is it dimensionally different to accommodate the buffer? If you have never seen the buffer it is probably close to 0.75" long. I have not measured it. I assume the rear edge of the lower half of slide (surrounding guide rod) collides with the buffer. Beretta customer service told me the buffer is an aluminum alloy, obviously softer that the steel slide, and absorbs energy. Sounds like a good idea to me. Anyway, I have wondered IF slide dimensions are somewhat different. Some of the buffers I have seen in guide rod/spring kits are very short compared to the factory buffer. The more buffer length, the more the recoil spring is compressed. That would have to figure in to desired spring rating (11#, 13#, etc). Perhaps the slides are the same and if factory buffer, might need softer spring?
    Last edited by Rmiked; 03-22-2017 at 07:13 PM.

I only have two Beretta in the family, and I very rarely shoot them, but I think very highly of them and (Southnarc) it warms my heart to see so much TDA love going on here.

JTQ, I can't tell if you are implying the 92A1 HAS a Brigadier slide or not. But it does not. The main selling points of the 92A1 over a 92 FS are: removeable front sight , recoil buffer, pic rail, 17 round mags (3), and grit resistant mags with V channel ( not coated).

I watched a video of the M9A3 disassembled and it looked like it has the same recoil buffer as the 92A1. Can an owner confirm that?
    Last edited by Rmiked; 03-22-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    JTQ, I can't tell if you are implying the 92A1 HAS a Brigadier slide or not.
    I am not saying or implying that. The 92A1 certainly does not have a Brigadier slide. The original M9/92 guns had a front sight that was integral to the slide. When the Brigadier came out, there was enough slide material to allow a dovetail front sight. Next came the 90-Two, that allowed the dovetail without requiring the thick Brigadier slide. That's an advantage. However, the 90-Two was discontinued.

The Vertec slide also allowed a dovetailed front sight without the thick Brigadier slide, and unlike the 92A1, is comparable with the rest of the line-up. I believe the M9A3 is basically the Vertec slide. I expect the 92A1 to go the way of the 90-Two. Other than the .40 S&W 96A1 version, where there is a need for the buffer, there really isn't a reason for the 92A1 now that the Vertec/M9A3 slide is available (it has the front sight dovetail, and a railed frame). I also expect the M9A3 to become the default frame as it gives a rail (something I don't care for, but they are very popular), and the option for both the full M9/92 grip, or the slimmer Vertec grip.

Thanks. I am really impressed with the M9A3. Just wish they were not so scarce. Can't see one in person yet. I also think it has an internal buffer. Looked like I saw it in a video after slide removal. Nice color scheme as well

So do you guys think if I took my 92A1 slide off and put in on a 92 FS, it would function? Or is it dimensionally different to accommodate the buffer?
    No, that will not work at all. You will find that the slide will not be able to go all the way onto the frame. The area of the slide that goes around the guide rod is too big around to fit past the dust cover on the older style frames.

The opposite is quite doable though. You can fit any slide onto the 90-two/92A1 frame.

Here's an Inox Brigadier D slide on a 96A1 frame.

Here's a Billennium slide on a 90-two frame.

Here's a 90-two slide on a 96A1 frame & a 96D Compact slide on a 90-two frame, with a Type C hammer

Thanks. I am really impressed with the M9A3.
    Keep your eyes and ears open for the upcoming "Langdon Tactical 92"

Thanks. I am really impressed with the M9A3. Just wish they were not so scarce. Can't see one in person yet. I also think it has an internal buffer. Looked like I saw it in a video after slide removal. Nice color scheme as well
    I own one...no internal buffer. If you want, you can add a Shok Buff from Wilson Combat onto the guide rod/recoil spring. I run shok buffs on all of my metal framed Berettas.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List