Thread: Stubby Picatinny VFG, small footprint. Need recommendation.

Stubby Picatinny VFG, small footprint. Need recommendation.

I've been shooting my newish 10.3" build without any handstop/vfg controls and feel that my overall control is lacking. Previously I had a MK18 URG and with the full Picatinny rail, placement/footprint was not an issue. I built a different upper using a Geissele MK4 rail, which I like better overall, but I find I'd like to attach some sort of stubby VFG for control. Because the bottom Picatinny section is so short, I want to use something that has a small footprint (single screw). So, the RVG I was using is out. For the time being I stuck on an old AAC knockoff of the KAC VFG I had laying around, but I'd like to find something shorter. Simple is ok as long as it doesn't break. I'd prefer vertical to something like the BCM so I can also use it in the reverse direction as a barricade stop.

Here's what I have now:

Here's what I used to have:

and how I use the VFG:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I use a vertical grip in a similar manner, and it looks to me like placing one on the Mk4's picatinny section might put your hand too far forward to be able to access the light controls easily.

Unity Tactical's VFG might get you into a more ergonomic position.

Edited to add, found this picture on this M4C thread that shows it can work.

Attachment 15007
    Last edited by texasaggie2005; 03-22-2017 at 03:08 PM. Reason: added info

Awesome! Just bought one in FDE, thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice

Another happy user here. I use the short VFG as a hand wedge and barricade stop also. If I use the pic rail then I love the Gear Sector.

I use a Rail Scales Karve, but if a stubby vfg is what you are after perhaps the gear sector vfg is closer to your liking.

Got in in and installed. Dig it!

Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List