Thread: Sig Romeo RDS battery life data

Sig Romeo RDS battery life data

I found this today. I am completely unaffiliated with video poster.

Cliff notes:
    - guy buys P320 RX
    - shoots it the next day and again in a steel match later in the week
    - stores the gun thereafter
    - two weeks exactly after purchase, dead battery upon removal from storage
    - less than forthcoming Sig CS rep repeatedly avoids disclosing battery life
    - CS rep eventually says 300-400 hours is in the ballpark
    - CS rep also suggested turning it off during non carry time to save battery
    - apparently the auto on-off hardware uses battery
    - turning it off means no auto on feature

https://youtu.be/vQqkliReF3Y

I don't know this guy either and other than at SHOT two years ago I have never seen a ROMEO 1 "in the wild".

Based on my general experience with these sorts of optics that don't do auto brightness, it is somewhat difficult to say whether this battery life is unusual if the brightness settings used are unknown, that and the dates associated with the battery originally supplied with the optic.
    I've put batteries in Trijicon RMR's out of the factory box that were dead a few hours to days later, and once replaced with a new battery never exhibited any sort of battery life issues.

I can see why the factory is reluctant to give a hard number for battery life since without data as to the brightness setting history. At best, they might specify a lifetime for each of the brightness settings based on the presumption that the optic was always on that setting.
    This would at least provide the user with a guide line as to what to expect.
    I suppose for the cost of half a dozen batteries, beginning with the brightest setting and working down it might only take a few months to come up with some ballpark battery life figures at least for the brighter settings that exhibit the shortest battery life. ;-)

Trijicon publishes a number based on some sort of typical use (whatever that means). I've heard of 2-3 years more than once. I suspect that people who carry their guns daily have no issues with battery life since the dot is dimmed down most of the time. Those that are range toys are probably in the dark a lot as well I imagine.

An optic that has a fixed brightness setting will obviously exhibit battery life inversely proportional to the brightness. If turned down/off the battery life will be greatly extended. If it is left turned up bright (such as might be used for outdoor shooting) then stored at that setting the battery life will be compromised.

That an auto off/on mechanism is something that would drain the battery quickly in storage seems pretty weird to imagine. Obviously there has to be active circuitry alive to provide an auto on function but that could be an extremely low current and give years of battery life.

The original Leupold Deltapoint with its auto off mechanism didn't exhibit any such behavior. I have one sitting in the safe that I've looked at a couple times over the past few years and it's still alive with the battery that was in it when the guy traded it in. ;-)

I couldn't make sense of the guys comments about the "gyro's running all the time", as I can't imagine gyros being the operational mechanism for this auto on feature.
    FFL Type 01

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."

I have a friend who installed the first battery in July, left it on and used the gun throughout that time, and the battery finally died sometime in February. I don't turn mine off and have gone for months at a time. I haven't had one run out yet since I periodically change the batteries.
    Since mine is typically in sleep mode it might be possible to run it down much faster by constantly moving the gun and leaving it on high power. I know that couple of guys are looking at the R1 for duty use and they might have a different experience. I now have two RX (full size and compact) and will be transitioning one into their role of my primary carry gun.
    I wish it were easier together measure but you should expect the battery to last for months without having to shut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Housel View Post
    I have never seen a ROMEO 1 "in the wild".
    Saw 2 in the case at a local shop. One was dead. Both had the covers on them.

Interesting that neither the DP Pro nor Romeo have auto brightness, and wonder how that figures into battery life isssues with them. Sure wish they had licensed Aimpoint's technology that provides such long battery life.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I played with a Romeo 1 a few weeks ago on a 320. Seemed nice. I've heard conflicting reports about where and how they are made, and I honestly can't remember the latest which I tended to believe. I can say that some good developments are happening in the MRDS world in general.

Honestly I can't wait for the day when an MRDS has a 1 year battery life, is durable Past 5,000 rounds of use, and can be had for $300 or less.

At that point I could convince the wife to have probably two so I could carry one and have another as a spare.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List