Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather okay for aiwb?

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I think forum member JodyH uses a High Noon straight drop leather holster AIWB (I'm not sure if it is the Hideaway). I think he may have a review of it (or maybe talks about it in a P2000 review) somewhere on the forum.
    I actually came across that through an internet search. I believe it's a different model but had some real
    Good info nonetheless. Thank you

I have both of the current production JRC options and overall am very pleased with them. I'm also in line for a 5-Shot Leather SME as that's a design I really think is going to work well for me -- unfortunately, it won't be here until at least June.

I go back and forth between the JRCs but I think the AIWB-CDA II is a better solution for most people due to the adjustability. It's also what I'm back to using. I will say that, due to JRC's process, I think the "conforming to the body" bit isn't there as it would be on, say, a Summer Special design.

No qualms about leather here, provided it's well-made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Leather is flexible and conforms to gun and body. I think leather is more comfortable for IWB.
    For this reason, if I ever decide to try AIWB again, it'll be with leather

Site Supporter

Leather okay for aiwb?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCountry View Post
    Excellent info, especially the ecqc part. I read somewhere that the straps make the grip higher than the clip, what do you think? Also do you find the leather has too much friction and makes it difficult to draw? Thank you
    I believe the straps do raise the grip a tad higher than the clip, but that would make the pistol less concealable and therefore less desirable to me.

In my experience, leather retention does not measurably interfere with a deliberate draw, compared to Kydex. However, leather does seem to have marginally better retention in an entangled fight than a Kydex holster. This is because a Kydex holster's retention of the pistol is only really there when the pistol is all the way in the holster, whereas leather gives up its retention more gradually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by nalesq; 03-22-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Another vote for no issues with leather in The AIWB carry method just make sure it has a reinforced opening and nice sturdy leather around the trigger guard, I have a Watson from JRC that he made up with a tuckable option and it's awesome I love my kydex, but just have a thing for beauty and quality leather holsters...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Leather is awesome for AIWB. And for most other holster applications.

i saw some video on youtube where an otherwise reasonably gun knowledgable guy said that for carry, you should stay away from leather because it can collapse into the trigger guard. Something like that, anyway. Not true of any decent holster.

You might want to take a look at the Lobo Gun Leather offset belt clip holster. I have one for the Ruger LCR done in natural horsehide and like it a lot. Excellent retention and the clip does its job well. Very comfortable. I plan on trying one for a small auto next.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Leather is awesome for AIWB. And for most other holster applications.

i saw some video on youtube where an otherwise reasonably gun knowledgable guy said that for carry, you should stay away from leather because it can collapse into the trigger guard. Something like that, anyway. Not true of any decent holster.
    Likely only an issue for folks buying holsters at Bass Pro. Lol!

I think the Watson is more or less a JMCK George executed in leather, and I like leather enough to have a Watson on order for a gun I already have a George for.

With that said, if cost is a limiting factor, i think you get more bang for your buck out of kydex.
    Ignore Alien Orders

If truly defensive minded leather AIWB holsters are a little easier to defend/retain in an entanglement. Once the trigger guard moves ~1/4 or so on kydex the gun is "out" and in play, with leather the movement needs to be far greater given friction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List