Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leather okay for aiwb?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCountry View Post
    I'm interested in the high noon hideaway holster for a Walther pps m2. I've only had kydex up until this point. Is there any reason to not choose a leather holster for appendix carry? I'd also like to use it for training courses which means repeated draw strokes. Any advice is appreciated
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/hideaway-w-straps
    Back when I carried AIWB regularly (I carry at "3 o'clock" now), I tried using the Hideaway in horsehide, for my Glock 27. It's a nice holster as leather goes, and it was comfortable, but it was "top heavy," the grip wanted to flop away from my body. Might have worked better if I had gotten one made for a G19, and it also could have rode just a bit, maybe 3/16" lower. Not sure if that would be a problem with the PPS though.
    Last edited by DMF13; 03-22-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If truly defensive minded leather AIWB holsters are a little easier to defend/retain in an entanglement. Once the trigger guard moves ~1/4 or so on kydex the gun is "out" and in play, with leather the movement needs to be far greater given friction.
    This is a very good point. The late Paul Gomez discusses this in this video, beginning about 4:45 into the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7VbYh9Qqk

He says his preference was leather for holsters, kydex for mag pouches.

I have a High Noon Hideaway w-clip in horsehide for my P2sk it was my first holster for that gun and it worked really well, I still use it occasionally, I also had a High Noon Public Secret w-clip in horsehide for my HK45C I would highly reccomend getting the horsehide if you go with a High Noon. I have since added CCC Shaggy kydex for both of those guns as well as a Keepers kydex for my P30, and two 5 Shot leather SME one for the 45C and one for my P30 I am itching to order some sweet JRC leather very very soon.

Come to think of it a very good friend of mine has a High Noon Hideaway for his Walter PPS and loves it, he carries it at 3 o'clock though. For the money it is a pretty decent and versatile holster that works fairly well from 12 o'clock aiwb to 4 - 4:30 just behind hip.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I think the Watson is more or less a JMCK George executed in leather, and I like leather enough to have a Watson on order for a gun I already have a George for.

With that said, if cost is a limiting factor, i think you get more bang for your buck out of kydex.
    Good to know since I have a George already and like it

Thank you guys for all the help, it was exactly the info I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    . . . he carries it at 3 o'clock though.
    Yes, but that can make a huge difference. When I wore mine at "3 o'clock" I had none of the aforementioned problems. While I prefer kydex, it was a great leather holster for strong side hip carry, but IMO wasn't good for AIWB. YMMV.

I also plan on attaching a Velcro piece to the base of the holster and using my jmck wedge to pull the grip in more, not sure how it'll work out though

Yes just to point out versatility I noted that my friend uses his at 3 o'clock for his PPS, I myself have a hideaway and carried it AIWB with my P2sk and at 3 o'clock for IDPA. NO it does not conceal as well as my 5 Shot SME which is an AIWB specific highly engineered design. For the money and ready to ship availability the High Noon Horsehide Hideaway w-clip will work until you decide to dedicate yourself to AIWB and spring for something more expensive and better engineered in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Yes, but that can make a huge difference. When I wore mine at "3 o'clock" I had none of the aforementioned problems. While I prefer kydex, it was a great leather holster for strong side hip carry, but IMO wasn't good for AIWB. YMMV.

Site Supporter
    I am almost schizophrenic on this issue. I have more kydex than leather, but I am willing to pay more for leather, and really like leather once I settle on a design. I have been on some hot days in ABQ and PHX with a 1911 AIWB in a 5 Shot SME. For the last 13 years I have been carrying a 1911 and on a well known poster here's recommendation bought the SME and it is my favorite, most comfortable, concealable holster I have ever used for a full sized 1911, or any pistol for that matter. I got the SME shortly (I think the wait list was 13 mos when I jumped on the bandwagon, following the thread from here and some IM discussions. In Dec I switched to an M&P9, and already have 3 holsters that are OK, but not "it". I am only carrying the issue M&P until I get some training and qualify with the RMR G17 combo later this year, so my holster searching is more focused on finding "IT" for the Glock 17/RMR. JM and SME will both be getting serios consideration.

pat

User Tag List