Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather okay for aiwb?

Leather okay for aiwb?

I'm interested in the high noon hideaway holster for a Walther pps m2. I've only had kydex up until this point. Is there any reason to not choose a leather holster for appendix carry? I'd also like to use it for training courses which means repeated draw strokes. Any advice is appreciated
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/hideaway-w-straps

I would go with one of these 2 from JRC leather I have the 2nd and couldn't happier. I've also got a 5 shot SME on order and can't hardly wait!
    Rick

Watson Special AIWB

The Watson Special is a slim design AIWB holster. While not as adjustable as the CDA-II, it pulls the pistol tight into the body. Knifemaker Joe Watson, of Watson Knives asked me to build him an AIWB holster based on the IWB-SS. After discussing the project, I decided to incorporate some of the SS features along with elements of the SSA holster. The Watson Special is what I came up with. It has 0 rake, a tapered reinforcement to tuck the grip in and a velcro patch on the back for a yaw pad. This holster can come with or without shields. Shields and loops are available in different styles.

Read more: Watson Special AIWB
    AIWB-CDA II

AIWB-CDA II IWB Cross Draw / Appendix - This unit is for revolvers, compact and full size autos. This is a slightly redesigned model.

The latest version of the AIWB-CDA has been redesigned to be much thinner than the previous model and thinner than most leather holsters available. Through the use of strategically placed reinforcements, welts and a special proprietary leather hardening process, the holster can be very thin, yet stay open when the gun is drawn. The AIWB-CDA II will revolutionize appendix carry. The layout of the holster makes for an extremely comfortable fit, that allows for a full range of motion, without the worry of printing and long term discomfort. The belt loop is offset, to make for a more
    streamlined holster and the front reinforcement grips the top of the belt, to keep the holster from pitching downward.
    Last edited by Paladin; 03-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Those holsters are beautiful and well worth the money, but just a little out of my price range. Thank you for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCountry View Post
    I'm interested in the high noon hideaway holster for a Walther pps m2. I've only had kydex up until this point. Is there any reason to not choose a leather holster for appendix carry? I'd also like to use it for training courses which means repeated draw strokes. Any advice is appreciated
    I can't comment on this particular holster other than say it wasn't designed as an AIWB specific holster but if it conceals well for you, then it doesn't matter.

As to leather, a whole bunch of us (including yours truly) carried AIWB with leather holsters for years if not decades and it was never a problem (even in high round count classes).

Don't worry too much about the material, pay more attention about the way the holster is designed.

Leather is flexible and conforms to gun and body. I think leather is more comfortable for IWB.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I can't comment on this particular holster other than say it wasn't designed as an AIWB specific holster but if it conceals well for you, then it doesn't matter.

As to leather, a whole bunch of us (including yours truly) carried AIWB with leather holsters for years if not decades and it was never a problem (even in high round count classes).

Don't worry too much about the material, pay more attention about the way the holster is designed.
    Thank you for the reply, that type of experience was what I was looking for

I have an inexpensive Triple K leather holster for my 686+ which I wear AIWB and is quite comfortable. I haven't worn it enough to comment on durability but all indications are that it should last for years to come.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCountry View Post
    The Hideaway with clip is my favorite AIWB holster. I've used it for the Glock 19, Walther PPS, and Ruger SP101. The clip version is much less printy than the straps, and easier to take on and off, while still being plenty secure on the belt. (It stayed in place during ECQC, for what that's worth.) Keep in mind that is a relatively low riding holster, which has the effect of sacrificing a little speed/consistency in exchange for better concealment.

I also taped a bit of foam around the bottom, to make it even more comfortable.

I keep trying other holsters from time to time, but I keep coming back to the Hideaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    The Hideaway with clip is my favorite AIWB holster. I've used it for the Glock 19, Walther PPS, and Ruger SP101. The clip version is much less printy than the straps, and easier to take on and off, while still being plenty secure on the belt. (It stayed in place during ECQC, for what that's worth.) Keep in mind that is a relatively low riding holster, which has the effect of sacrificing a little speed/consistency in exchange for better concealment.

I also taped a bit of foam around the bottom, to make it even more comfortable.

I keep trying other holsters from time to time, but I keep coming back to the Hideaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Excellent info, especially the ecqc part. I read somewhere that the straps make the grip higher than the clip, what do you think? Also do you find the leather has too much friction and makes it difficult to draw? Thank you

I think forum member JodyH uses a High Noon straight drop leather holster AIWB (I'm not sure if it is the Hideaway). I think he may have a review of it (or maybe talks about it in a P2000 review) somewhere on the forum.

User Tag List