Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 Problem?

Glock 19 Problem?

I recently purchased a Gen 3 Glock 19 NIB. I took it to the range yesterday and put a flawless 200 rounds through it. When I got home to clean it I noticed the firing pin safety finish had flaked off it was a spot about the diameter of a pen tip. Is this something to be concerned with? I'm mostly concerned with rust the metal underneath appears to be copper colored.

Vending Machine Operator
    Can we get a pic?
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Anything that looks like coppery paste inside your new Glock is anti-galling compound (am I remembering that correctly - been a couple years since the armorer's course) applied at the factory - have no fear about it. It will wear off over time and use, or you can clean it off through normal cleaning. Additionally, the anti-corrosion metal treatments that Glock applies to its pistols are sub-surface, the surface finish is strictly cosmetic. So, even if a bit of "finish" flaked off, the metal is likely still very well protected.

I agree a photo would give us a better idea of precisely what you're seeing.

The copper colored lube is recommended to be left alone and let it naturally wear away.

It's for long term lubrication of the area it's applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  26.9 KB

Its not the copper colored lube and here's the picture if i run a glock takedown tool over the spot you can feel a difference between the area that is flaking and the rest of the part

Name:  Glock.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  42.9 KB

here is a better picture of what is happening

It's fine. We covered this recently in the armorer section, IIRC. The teflon/nickel finish flakes off - it's not a concern, and Glock will tell you the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    It's fine. We covered this recently in the armorer section, IIRC. The teflon/nickel finish flakes off - it's not a concern, and Glock will tell you the same thing.
    Is this part more prone to rusting with the finish being like that?

No. The only part that is prone to rust is normally the slide stop, and that is rare anymore. Glock has most of their problems ironed out at this point, with millions sold since 1983 or so, IIRC, and agencies and military organizations continually testing them. They're not "perfection", but in my limited experience, using them as carry guns since 1997 or so, they're as close as it gets to date.

Shoot the thing and enjoy it. I doubt you will ever have a problem.

They are cheap and easy to replace. If you are worried about it just replace it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List