Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbling WITHOUT SS pins results

GL--is the cement mixer with metal or plastic drum better?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I've only ever used a Thumler Tumbler (B model IIRC) with a rubber liner, and Harbor Freight then Lowes Cement mixers. I'm not sure there is any 'better' with metal/plastic/rubber. The paint steadily wears off the metal. The rubber appears unscathed. I'm sure the plastic would get rougher with use. Not sure it matters - the cases effectively become the media when you ditch the SS pins.

If you are looking at the Franklin wet FART plastic tumbler it looks pretty good. I've contemplated replacing my Thumler with one (higher capacity, lower cost).

When I process 223 I like to use the cement mixer to start then the Thumler with SS pins to finish, theory being the pins chamfer/debur the trimmed case mouth and make extra shiny. Next time I will do the second pass in the cement mixer with no media and am pretty sure it will be good enough. The Thumler will then get sold/retired. Although it is pretty handy for cleaning rusty steel tools or small parts.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 03-24-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    The Tumbler looks heavy duty but you are a short step from a cement mixer. Price varies between about $300 and $450 delivered.
    I had considered it. Sadly, its main attraction is its chief drawback for me - size.

I am renovating an upstairs bedroom into a reloading room. Lugging a cement mixer upstairs is not in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I had considered it. Sadly, its main attraction is its chief drawback for me - size.

I am renovating an upstairs bedroom into a reloading room. Lugging a cement mixer upstairs is not in the cards.
    I have a lot of garage space and can just roll it outside where a hose is handy. Svelte, light and quiet it is not.

Wet tumbling WITHOUT SS pins results

4# of brass just doesn't cut it for my needs... cement mixer seems like my best option.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-24-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

quiet it is not.
    I laugh and wonder what the neighbors thought I was doing when I borrowed my buddy's.

Site Supporter
    The Thumler will then get sold/retired. Although it is pretty handy for cleaning rusty steel tools or small parts.
    Very interested....

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Very interested....
    Not quite ready yet, probably wait until my next rifle brass processing cycle. Let me think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Very interested....
    If that doesn't work out, I've had good luck with the Harbor Freight dual drum that you can get for under $50 and then convert to a single drum (for ease of use and additional capacity) using PVC pipe. I will do this conversion sooner or later but you can find tutorials online or I can dig it up for you.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 03-26-2017 at 07:13 AM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    4# of brass just doesn't cut it for my needs... cement mixer seems like my best option.
    Without the pins, you can another 5 lbs of brass, 9lbs brass +1 gallon of water (8lbs per gallon) = 17lbs or what the rebel tumbler is rated for...

User Tag List