Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbling WITHOUT SS pins results

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    So, I'm thinking that simply laying the brass out on a towel may be sufficient.
    Back when the RCBS was all I had I would wet tumble with the primers and just leave them on a towel, tipped over flat, and they would dry in a day or two. You could probably submerge a few cases, and leave them overnight and pop a primer out and see if they are dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    @GuanoLoco doesn't use pins and he is the SPOC of anything reloading.
    He's also gone a little Colonel Kurtz but we don't talk about that much

#RESIST

Wait... You have to clean pistol brass?

Who knew?

Looks good to me. They're only going to get covered in crap again the second you shoot them, so that little work to get them looking that good is a win in my book.
    Last edited by Peally; 03-22-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Another reason I'm considering wet tumbling is how much easier the wax-treated brass goes through the resizing die, compared to my dry-tumbled brass. A buddy brought over some of his wet-tumbled brass and we didn't have to use any case lube spray before loading.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Another reason I'm considering wet tumbling is how much easier the wax-treated brass goes through the resizing die, compared to my dry-tumbled brass. A buddy brought over some of his wet-tumbled brass and we didn't have to use any case lube spray before loading.
    I've already noticed how there is no dust, dirt, small pebbles etc in my casefeeder now.

It's not so much clean(er) brass, it's a cleaner reloading process.

As much as I did everything I could to get the media out of the brass there was always some residue that got somewhere I didn't want it.

Obviously not everyone is a fan or even thinks it's necessary but I'm happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punkey71--This is looking a lot more interesting to me now that you've shown that the pins aren't needed. I'm considering getting a $150 cement mixer from Harbor Freight so I can process in bulk. The only remaining problem to be solved is drying. Humidity inside my house is pretty low (30%RH)--even martial arts gi's dry very quickly. So, I'm thinking that simply laying the brass out on a towel may be sufficient.
    Either hold out for the $300 Home Depot unit or make sure you get the 2 year extended warranty from Harbor freight. I blew up 2 HF mixers before I have up. The unit is OK but the motor is cheap chinese garbage.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Does the pinless tumble clean corrosion and other yuck from the interior of the cases?

I get cheap thrill bringing old, grungy Pleistocene epoch brass back to life.
    Well enough.

1) I suggest an initial cycle without chems for 10+ minutes to knock the major gunk off, then drain, refill and add chems. 1-2 rinse / refill cycles are rather effective.

2) Citric acid in bulk from Amazon vs. Lemishine is cheaper.

3) Try Armor All Wash-n-Wax vs. Disk soap.

4) How clean do the insides need to be? Even without pins I find the insides to be more than clean enough and a little carbon/wax deposit helps keep excessively clean case mouths from sticking on the powder funnel.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

GL,

Is the AA wash n wax a better cleaner or is it a case lube of sorts for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    4) How clean do the insides need to be? Even without pins I find the insides to be more than clean enough and a little carbon/wax deposit helps keep excessively clean case mouths from sticking on the powder funnel.
    I agree and have never worried about the insides of the case or the primer pockets.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 03-22-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List