Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbling WITHOUT SS pins results

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If that doesn't work out, I've had good luck with the Harbor Freight dual drum that you can get for under $50 and then convert to a single drum (for ease of use and additional capacity) using PVC pipe. I will do this conversion sooner or later but you can find tutorials online or I can dig it up for you.
    Looks pretty simple. Doesn't look like it'll add much to capacity, but much eaiser to use. Thanks for the head sup on the drum replacement

I did the first batch in the FART today of 9mm for 1 hour, no depriming and no pins. For drying I put some paper towels in the media separator and "tumbled" that for about 15 rotations, then put them in the oven for 15 min at 200 degrees in the oven after preheating it. They were dry, a bit hot to the touch and no water on the inside. I set it for 150 degrees and did 5 more min just in case. The results were better than dry tumbling for 4 hours.

But I still like having the dry tumbling option

Have been shooting the 1911 the past several weeks and am almost out of 45. Was good to be able to throw some once fired cases in the Dillon and have something loadable an hour later.

FWIW Home Depot is selling a cement mixer for $229 on sale until the 9th. Seems like the 17lb tumbler will work better for me but here's a link if anyone's interested:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-SERIE...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's an AWESOME price!!! I've seen it at $300 twice but never $229!
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    FWIW Home Depot is selling a cement mixer for $229 on sale until the 9th. Seems like the 17lb tumbler will work better for me but here's a link if anyone's interested:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-SERIE...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Niiice.
    #RESIST

A question for anyone who has gone this cement-mixer route...can you use one device for both the occasional small-scale concrete project, and for brass? Or does using it for concrete sort of foul it up forever? If this could be a dual-purpose device, it's a no-brainer at $219 (which is the price I see when I click through). If it is best to have a dedicated unit for tumbling, I think I'll pass.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    A question for anyone who has gone this cement-mixer route...can you use one device for both the occasional small-scale concrete project, and for brass? Or does using it for concrete sort of foul it up forever? If this could be a dual-purpose device, it's a no-brainer at $219 (which is the price I see when I click through). If it is best to have a dedicated unit for tumbling, I think I'll pass.

Thanks.
    The only way that would work is if you cleaned every speck of concrete out of the mixer after you're done... Good luck with that. After 32 years in construction, I can honestly say I've never seen a concrete mixer that did'nt have concrete leftover from use, even after being cleaned..Any leftover concrete will probably scratch the brass up not to mention the possibilty of small bits getting to places they should'nt, like in the brass itself. Just think what would happen to the bore of your pistol/ rifle if a tiny piece of concrete got shot down the barrel...
    Last edited by ralph; 04-02-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Pretty much exactly what I was afraid of.

I guess I can add dual-purpose cement mixers to the list of things that'll get you killed on the streets.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Pretty much exactly what I was afraid of.

I guess I can add dual-purpose cement mixers to the list of things that'll get you killed on the streets.
    Touche - and at $219, that cement mixer is on the price point of an Extreme 17 tumbler. If you have the space for it and go through a lot of brass, I think it merits consideration, even as a single-use item.

That said, I went with a F.A.R.T. off amazon and a F.A. dryer off opticsplanet (cheaper than amazon, plus gave a 5% discount). Snagged some wash-n-wax on sale at autozone today.

I'm really looking forward to not having lead-soaked dust everywhere, or having a dusty coating on all my brass when it comes out of the dry tumbler.

Dry tumbler will be repurposed as a brass sorting device to go with my shell sorting plates, and a .380 plate I ordered yesterday. Just need to get the brass wand and I think I might actually enjoy brass prep again!

User Tag List