Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I took all of the BS attachments off of my rail...

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    ....I still just have a sling, and a flashlight as an option if I needed it.
    Likewise. I use Malkoff lights in a Vltor QD to mount 'em when I need 'em and to be left off when I don't. This one is a bit of overkill and usually rides in a pocket or belt holster;

I've almost always used a vfg. I've used the kac broomstick and now the Magpul one. It acts as hand stop and helps me use the light. I'll put a bipod on an spr.

If it doesn't have an Aimpoint and a light, it's not much use.

So far Ive only added a small rail section at about 10:00-11:00 on the factory type round ribbed handguards for a light. Besides budget limitations, I figure I'll not add anything until and unless I get to a point that I feel Im actually handicapped without it, and can tell the difference. At my level, and what I do with mine, I haven't needed anything but perhaps the light (skunks), and a usable scope (most of my shooting is at distance, steel plates and plinking up to 900-ish yards). I can imagine a free float handguard with better grade ammo may make a difference for me at some point. So far, its been OK for what I do though.

Site Supporter
    My only "black rifle is a 20" Colt Sporter from the '90s. No add ons except a TEAM sling from about the same time. Kinda prefer it that way.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    My only "black rifle is a 20" Colt Sporter from the '90s. No add ons except a TEAM sling from about the same time. Kinda prefer it that way.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that setup. If you ever wanted to do so, an optic and light can be added with no modification to that configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that setup. If you ever wanted to do so, an optic and light can be added with no modification to that configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would certainly do both if I could use it for work...may do it anyway just for me...need to figure out an optic/dot that would work on an A2 carry handle..
    Last edited by deputyG23; 03-31-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Mine is an A2 also. Ive adapted somewhat to using a scope mounted on it. Its not running rabbit grade easy, but for most other uses, it seems to work. The ARMS short carry handle mount is the only one Ive used that never ever changed zero from carrying in vehicles and use.

Site Supporter
    To mount a light on a fixed front sight base:

https://www.gggaz.com/the-dually-dua...ory-mount.html

To mount a red dot on a fixed carry handle:

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...-prod1572.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...bMANUFACTURING

This combination will provide a lower 1/3 co-witness with the irons.

Mounts for scopes as well as red dots are available that place the optic above the carry handle and include a channel for using the irons, at the cost of cheek weld, parralex, and in the case of a scope, having to position one's head farther back than usual.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 03-31-2017 at 10:11 PM.

White light and Arisaka finger stop is my basic load out these days.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've had the opposite reaction, resistance to adding even if it is better. I was way behind the curve on the RDS thing. I could have had access to a free one for probably a year or year and a half before I was coaxed into trying one. I began to realize their benefit but was afraid of the durability and if they would hold zero, loooong after people in much rougher conditions than me had proven the technology. Collapsible stocks, M-4 length barrel...anything that wasn't the M16a2 that I was trained on in the military was unneeded fluff. Except a light. I totally got why you wanted a light.

I have discovered I like an AFG because the angle it keeps your wrist at is much more comfortable for me for day long range sessions. I have no idea if I shoot better with it, I just know I don't hurt at the end of the day if I use one. I've never mounted anything on the rail but a AFG and light. I did buy an AR that came with a folding VFG, but haven't tried shooting with it.

User Tag List