Thread: Suarez Internations Remington 870 Stakeout

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I wanted a coach gun.

Saw the shockwave.

Wanted the shockwave.

Thought about the shockwave.

Back to wanting a coach gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always pictured you as more of a louis vuitton fan but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Suarez Internations Remington 870 Stakeout

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I always pictured you as more of a louis vuitton fan but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I'm more of a Bob Valdez kind of guy.

"Something for the rabbits"
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0067921/me...er/rm677296896

Last edited by serialsolver; 03-31-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I'm more of a Bob Valdez kind of guy.

"Something for the rabbits"

Forgot my smiley. I actually had to look up Bob Valdez as that movie came out 16 years before I existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    This. The more-vertical the grip, the more recoil is slammed into the web of the hand.
    +1

That bird's head grip makes the kick a lot more comfortable.

I have a Speed Feed birds head grip exactly like the current raptor one. The birds head style is much more comfortable to shoot but it still ended up in a box with various other bits that don't get used, but mainly for practicality's sake. Now that I know about the legal status of these types of firearms I'm tempted to buy a PGO Mossberg 500 20ga and put the grip on and chop down an old beater barrel I have. Wished I had known about it 10 years ago when I bubba'd a nice 20ga bantam just to have something to put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Serious, you mind posting the particulars on that 870? Some I recognize, some not so much. Thanks.
    As requested:

Name:  sbs1.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  sbs4inked.jpg
Views: 2141
Size:  38.9 KB

My wee little blaster started life as a 1982 Remington 870 Wingmaster. I filed a Form 1, and after receiving my stamp had the vent rib barrel trimmed down to 12.5 inches. I had a X\S tritium Big Dot sight mounted on the front of the rib, and had a Mesa Tactical Picatinny rail mounted on the receiver. That required it to be drilled and tapped. The screws also had to be shortened, so they would not interfere with the bolt.

The optic is a spare Aimpoint H-1 4 MOA dot. It's currently wearing a QD lever on the factory mount. I like that size dot on this weapon, and feel it's perfect for the distances and ammo used.

The ammo carrier is a Vang Comp model. I like it because you do not have to worry about adhesive melting off the shotgun during long training sessions. That's something I have watched happen with other people.

The magazine spring is a Wolff, as are all the mag springs in the rest of my 870's. The follower is a Vang Comp stainless steel model. I like it because it has a small hole in the center, which can be detected by touch. I load my shotgun entirely by feel, so it's important that I not have to look at it to see if the mag tube is empty. I can do that in the dark, with gloves, etc.

The safety is a Vang Comp Big Dome. I can easily put the weapon on safe with my thumb, and take it off safe with the knuckle of my trigger finger. I am an absolute firm believer in using a shotgun safety, especially with an SBS. With that shorter barrel length, it's extremely easy to inadvertently cover someone with a muzzle. I have seen what an ND with 00 buck does at close range. All my 870's have that safety for that reason. I treat it just like I would on a carbine - weapon on target, shoot if needed, weapon comes off target and safety goes on.

The light is one of the newer Surefire DSF 870 models. I prefer it and the original Surefire with the "Laser Products" logo, run with a Malkoff 325-lumen LED. Gene makes awesome LED's, a great combo of spill and throw with no dead spots. I have one of the "second generation" lights on a 870 Police Magnum, and do not like it as much due to hand placement issues.

The mag tube extension is a Wilson Combat +1. It allows me to run the gun with 5 in the tube, and push a slug in without doing a lot of extra manipulation that a traditional "select slug" drill requires. It also serves to protect the light from a lot of powder residue. I can also remove the light and the mage extension, and make the shotgun even more compact if I had to. I have only done that a couple of times to test balance, as I believe that positive ID with a light is an absolute requirement. (See Claude Werner's "Negative Outcomes").

Being an older Wingmaster, it cycles very smoothly, and is a pleasure to shoot. From a sandbag, it will clover-leaf three Brenneke slugs at 25 yards. At 50 yards, they can be covered by a fist (or a B-8 repair center target...where have I heard that before...)

I did replace the Wingmaster trigger assembly with a new set of Police Magnum guts from Brownells. I also made sure the rivets were well staked.

I added a Magpul sling loop, and a Magpul stock with a slightly higher riser to get a perfect cheek weld. The length of pull is right at 12", and the overall length is a hair under 32". When carried at a low ready, it does not protrude any more than a Glock 17.

The sling is a Blue Force Gear single point. I run BFG slings on all my long guns. This is the only weapon I have with a single point. It's a dedicated HD gun, that runs either Brenneke slugs or Federal #1 Flite Control Buck, and does so very well.

I hope that helps. If I can be of any further assistance, please ask.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    As requested:

SNIP.
    Gracias Serious! Great rundown. Gave me some good ideas to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Now that I know about the legal status of these types of firearms I'm tempted to buy a PGO Mossberg 500 20ga and put the grip on and chop down an old beater barrel I have. Wished I had known about it 10 years ago when I bubba'd a nice 20ga bantam just to have something to put it on.
    I hesitate to post this, not being an expert on the NFA, but does it work that way, or does the gun have to leave the factory in this configuration to be a "firearm" and not one of the other categories?

ETA: Nevermind. It looks like if you buy the PGO version, that didn't come from the factory wtih a stock, you are good.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 04-04-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Gracias Serious! Great rundown. Gave me some good ideas to work with.
    Glad to be of assistance. Good luck with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Having seen the Clint Smith shockwave video as well as the Suarez stakeout one, I'm curious. How substantial an improvement is the Raptor style setup over the crappy 90 degree PG unit I know and dislike?

Being completely honest, I don't want it because I have some practical need for such a thing, it's on the list with that howdah pistol from DGW.
    Yuge difference! I had an opportunity to put a few rounds through a Suarez Stakeout at the shotgun course I took a couple of months ago. It is a joy to shoot. The internal treatments they do to it make it run slick as snot. The rest of the mods they do are nice but are easily duplicated.

I picked up the new Remington Tac-14 and did the following to it:
    Wilson Combat +1
    Vang Comp safety
    Volquartsen extractor
    Grovtec limited rotation QD insert in the end of the Shockwave grip
    Magpul MS1 sling

Basically I've done everything to it that Suarez does except for the internal surface treatment, the barrel porting, and the epoxy grip modifications.

I've put everything from birdshot to full power 00 Buck to slugs through it so far. 3" Magnum turkey rounds will be tried on the next range trip.

Despite what some others have said, it's easy to get hits with. What you need to know is that you do need to use the sights, not shoot it from the hip. My steel target is an 8" gong ... I was able to ring it consistently from distances out to about 40 yards (I didn't try any farther).

This may be the most fun gun in my safe. It's definitely got a place as a truck gun especially if you need to frequent any urban areas where you may encounter protesters that may turn into terrorists.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

User Tag List