Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster(s) suggested, please.

Holster(s) suggested, please.

Will be taking possession of a new Ruger 3" SP101 in a few days. I would welcome opinions/experience with holsters for this piece, both IWB as well as OWB, please. I am not necessarily pro-leather, or pro-kydex. I have both for all my other guns. The only stipulation, or desire would be an OWB that is as close to my body as possible.

Anyone want to opine or give me some ideas?

I have a Milt Sparks Executive Companion for the 2 1/4" version of this gun; purchased back in the '90's. It is outstanding. It is an IWB holster.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Mitch Rosen from a recommendation on this forum the 5JR is the closest riding holster I've ever used.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

I'd call Jim Ryan.
    Ignore Alien Orders

For an, off the shelf, readily available holster, at a decent price, I recommend a Don Hume IWB Model H715. I bought this model with the leather belt straps for my SP 101, decades ago while awaiting a custom rig. I still use it. Price very affordable. Readily available.

Site Supporter
    When I bought my N frame Model 27 I purchased a Lobo gun leathers enhanced pancake model figuring I would only carry it in the field and wasn't concerned about "concealment" as it is a big revolver. However this holster allows me to carry it under a loose fitting t-shirt or polo with no issues. subsequently I purchased this same model for my k-frames and it works even better. I imagine it would handle an SP-101 with no issues.

Dark Star Gear "casual carry" AIWB. Tom's bluegun is 3" thanks to a certain special snowflake.

http://instagram.com/p/BQdf4EhjPcm/

Review: http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=14998
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Leather: Milt Sparks PMK and VM II. The PMK is the most on-topic, being outside-the-belt.

Kydex: JMCK George, of course. The most comfortable AIWB in the known universe. (Well, OK, AIWB is a personal thing, so YMMV.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-21-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Leather: Milt Sparks PMK and VM II. The PMK is the most on-topic, being outside-the-belt.

Kydex: JMCK George, of course. The most comfortable AIWB in the known universe. (Well, OK, AIWB is a personal thing, so YMMV.)
    I think Tony needs to make a "Yortuk" model to go with the "Georg" in honor of the Festrunk Bros. Then we could own two "wild and crazy" holsters!

There's nothing civil about this war.

One I can suggest to steer away from is the BobMac's SN2. BobMac came recommended from old reading on TPI, and it's basically a rough-out straight drop IWB for AIWB use. Retention is incredibly poor, and the holster will not retain the gun when held upside down. The "1.5 inch" belt tunnel could easily fit a 1.75+ inch belt. Retention is OK with a cinched belt, but frankly I really want it tighter. It wasn't a break-in issue; the holster was already loose out of the box. Comfort is good.

I'm looking at High Noon for an AIWB, probably a Hideaway.

User Tag List