Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting competition pistol

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    If you are shooting IDPA then your VP9 is a great choice. There are several types of 3 gun competition out there, some clubs have their own rules/brand. Read their rules and choose accordingly. Some might be capacity limited, 10 rounds, etc.
    It has been my observation that many serious 3 gunners gravitate towards a 1911 of some sort. If there are sponsored shooters where you are look at what they use, the shooters who can choose what they shoot, not the ones required to use what the sponsors make...
    Is an STI DVC legal in IDPA?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I think this Pepperoni guy is right, too.
    Broken clock is right twice a day, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Is an STI DVC legal in IDPA?
    don't know that gun, but worse case, you'll likely be in either ESP or NFC (not for competition). NFC is a catchall so peeps can shoot, assuming the gun is otherwise safe, as is the shooter, with whatever they have. talk to your local match director (MD) ahead of time. you can also check the online rulebook to see if it conforms.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    It has been my observation that many serious 3 gunners gravitate towards a 1911 of some sort. If there are sponsored shooters where you are look at what they use, the shooters who can choose what they shoot, not the ones required to use what the sponsors make...
    You're correct: 2011's a the heat in 3-gun, Hayes Custom (great dudes in Austin, TX! Some REALLY nice guns!) is a big name, but those are $5,000+ guns.

If you're starting out, DON'T look at what sponsored shooters are shooting. They've got a different motive than a guy just starting out. You can get REALLY competitive just shooting a Glock in any venue if you focus on the craft vs the gear...

it struck me that if you want to know what is a good gun type to compete with, don't focus on sponsored shooters. they get paid to run their guns. I don't. so i pick something that works for me and my abilities and preferences. I'm sure Mr. Vogel is a really nice man, but he's also made an agreement to shoot a certain type of pistol. the only money i have on the line is MY money, so I get to choose what I shoot. not Gun, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    it struck me that if you want to know what is a good gun type to compete with, don't focus on sponsored shooters. they get paid to run their guns. I don't. so i pick something that works for me and my abilities and preferences. I'm sure Mr. Vogel is a really nice man, but he's also made an agreement to shoot a certain type of pistol. the only money i have on the line is MY money, so I get to choose what I shoot. not Gun, Inc.
    There are very few shooters who get free guns, most "sponsored" shooters get small discounts, and the majority of people wearing jerseys are not sponsored. Vogel might be getting Taran Tactical stuff now but won Nationals and Worlds while not being sponsored buy a gun manufacturer/custom shop.

Since the OP hasn't chose divisions that really means he doesn't know exactly what he wants to do. I would recommend shooting the VP9 until you know what division you want to shoot. If you have to buy something get a G17 or G34 cause you should own one anyway. I do think that dropping below a 4.5" barrel starts to create hardware disadvantages that at the higher levels of competition you will not be able to overcome, but that is years away. VP9 will work for now.
    Last edited by Leroy; 03-21-2017 at 04:33 PM.

well, he ran a picture of his jersey (with sponsors visible) and his rig and pistol right after he won.

i don't know his agreement with his sponsors, what they provide him, what they expect of him, but if you want to get an idea of what a common man/woman shoots, don't look at those with fancy vests and shirts full of logos.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Currently I am in the market for a competition pistol.

I have been using my HK VP9 which is a great gun but want to get a pistol dedicated to competition.

I will be shooting local IDPA and 3 gun matches with it. I prefer to keep the caliber 9mm, I am not interested in .40.

After reading through bunches of rule books, it looks like I can use either of the models I am looking at: Glock 34 or an STI DVC Limited.

I realize these are hugely on opposite ends of the price scale. If I go with the G34, I am looking at going with Taran Tactical to get all the modifications up front rather than start with a base and part it together. I could also get a standard 34 and add arts that I would like to change, Glock upgrades with the exception of milling slides and cutting barrels are not out of my realm of ability.

For the STI, I like the idea of getting a gun that I can easily grow into and don't have to go through several guns to get a highly competitive pistol.

Any suggestions for those of you who may have gone down this path already? I appreciate any helpful guidance and input.
    Based on having shot IDPA for a couple of years, I'd say stick with your VP9 and put your gun budget into ammo and training. 90% of the shit people bolt onto Glocks has the end goal of making it what the VP9 is out of the box.

Can't comment on USPSA or STI guns.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Anyone halfway good is going to kick you ass with a crappy gun.

#ItsNotTheGunStupid

That said, if a particular gun motivates you to dry fire/live fire/train more, have at it.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I can recall reading Brian Enos's book on competitive shooting. He mentions the old adage: It's not the bow, it's the Indian. But then follows it up with "but who wants a crappy bow?" Which is one reason to query the top shooters; there's a reason they use what they use, sometimes it's helpful to know why. But while you gather intelligence use that VP9, by all accounts it's a good pistol.

User Tag List