Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting competition pistol

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I would definitely have a CZ on my list.
    great choice but nah....

There are a number of fellows that shoot the VP9 at quite a high level in the shooting sports. That pistol is not going to become your limiting factor. So unless you're just using this purchase as the opportunity to try something new, I'd recommend dipping your toes in the water with the pistol you already own. It'll make a great SSP or Production pistol. And it'll give you a good baseline with which to compare past/current/future performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    If you are shooting IDPA then your VP9 is a great choice. There are several types of 3 gun competition out there, some clubs have their own rules/brand. Read their rules and choose accordingly. Some might be capacity limited, 10 rounds, etc.
    It has been my observation that many serious 3 gunners gravitate towards a 1911 of some sort. If there are sponsored shooters where you are look at what they use, the shooters who can choose what they shoot, not the ones required to use what the sponsors make...
    i have heard all good thing about the reliability of the VP9

Dude, just buy the G34, some mags and you're good to go in 3-gun, IDPA, USPSA, etc...
    They're glocks. They good. You should have one.

As to the people who were saying "don't bolt all that stuff on", yeah, they're pretty much right. Buy more ammo and range time after you change the sights.
    I don't regret largely learning how to be competitive with a Glock, and I'm the biggest Beretta fan boy out there... (I still have a G17. I changed the sights...)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Dude, just buy the G34, some mags and you're good to go in 3-gun, IDPA, USPSA, etc...

As to the people who were saying "don't bolt all that stuff on", yeah, they're pretty much right. Buy more ammo and range time after you change the sights.
    I don't regret largely learning how to be competitive with a Glock, and I'm the biggest Beretta fan boy out there... (I still have a G17. I changed the sights...)
    This.

Les is a USPSA GM. You should probably listen to him.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm jonesin' for a CZ Shadow Tac II which is a custom option they list for around $1300. But not for any particular sport. Just for a great shooting all steel gun. Never seen one though.
    I've been wanting a cool ass blaster for some time and snagged those Shadow 2's, worth looking into. They satisfy the whole I want a gun that has some intangible BS that makes me happy and can serve as a confidence booster when I have a bad day with Glocks because no matter how utilitarian people lead off I think everyone should have something that's just flat out cool.

This falls in line with what I feel should be a standard suggestion for any new shooter: Buy a G19 (or 17) and use the hell outta it until you find something it doesn't do for you. At that point you'll know enough to swap the right parts or if you're at the point where a different gun is in order. Pro tip: Usually the G19/17 will still do the trick with a simple mod.

Not that my opinion carries any weight relative to Les.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

This. It's more important that you train and stick with what you pick than what you actually pick. You can take a G34 as far as you want to go in the shooting sports. It's the Indian, not the arrow, as long as the arrow is reliable and shootable.

matches what i've heard other, better shooters advise newer shooters. pick a gun, even the gun you carry presently, and spend time and money on ammo and range time. i've dabbled with 1911 types, striker fired types, DA/SA types, and i've found that i shoot them all about equally well. well, there's a hint: it's my limitations, not the gun. i compete with a 92, carry a Px4. same operating systems, just different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    i have heard all good thing about the reliability of the VP9
    3,000 though mine, 0 issues.

I'm a noob, and have yet to take a training class For Reals. I am pretty sure the limiting factor in my starting to get off the dime of being a U USPSA shooter is not going to be my VP9.

I think this Pepperoni guy is right, too.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-21-2017 at 03:36 PM.

User Tag List