Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting competition pistol

Selecting competition pistol

Currently I am in the market for a competition pistol.

I have been using my HK VP9 which is a great gun but want to get a pistol dedicated to competition.

I will be shooting local IDPA and 3 gun matches with it. I prefer to keep the caliber 9mm, I am not interested in .40.

After reading through bunches of rule books, it looks like I can use either of the models I am looking at: Glock 34 or an STI DVC Limited.

I realize these are hugely on opposite ends of the price scale. If I go with the G34, I am looking at going with Taran Tactical to get all the modifications up front rather than start with a base and part it together. I could also get a standard 34 and add arts that I would like to change, Glock upgrades with the exception of milling slides and cutting barrels are not out of my realm of ability.

For the STI, I like the idea of getting a gun that I can easily grow into and don't have to go through several guns to get a highly competitive pistol.

Any suggestions for those of you who may have gone down this path already? I appreciate any helpful guidance and input.

CZ shadows are very popular for competition as well. A little cheaper than the STI and arguably easier to shoot well than a glock. It's personal preference really and dedication to learning will take you further than your pistol choice any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which type of event do you want to be competitive in? That is very important
    i used to wannabe

I would definitely have a CZ on my list.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Just went through this... read the rule book and thought a 4" commander in 9mm would be a fun gun for CCP. A week after I bought the gun IDPA came out with the rule rule book (2017 v2), and now the commander is too tall for CCP, so now I have to shoot it in ESP. I definitely wouldn't have chosen a commander to shoot ESP, but there you have it. I'd suggest you buy what you want, as long as there's a division to shoot it in, and consider what else you would do with it. I won't be having any dedicated IDPA guns in the near future, once bitten and all that.

First, what Luke said. Do you ever plan to shoot USPSA?

Second, DON'T buy all that Glock crap. Sights $80, magwell $80, light weight competition springs for trigger $10. No matter what you bolt on to it, it will still be a Glock.
    The least expensive TTI package plus a new G34 would put you around $1200, for that you can get a CZ or a Tanfo and do your own trigger job and have a much nicer gun.

What about USPSA? Pick your sports, then hardware division, then gun. Not all divisions are created equal.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

If you are shooting IDPA then your VP9 is a great choice. There are several types of 3 gun competition out there, some clubs have their own rules/brand. Read their rules and choose accordingly. Some might be capacity limited, 10 rounds, etc.
    It has been my observation that many serious 3 gunners gravitate towards a 1911 of some sort. If there are sponsored shooters where you are look at what they use, the shooters who can choose what they shoot, not the ones required to use what the sponsors make...
    Last edited by 1986s4; 03-21-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    First, what Luke said. Do you ever plan to shoot USPSA?

Second, DON'T buy all that Glock crap. Sights $80, magwell $80, light weight competition springs for trigger $10. No matter what you bolt on to it, it will still be a Glock.
    The least expensive TTI package plus a new G34 would put you around $1200, for that you can get a CZ or a Tanfo and do your own trigger job and have a much nicer gun.
    I'm jonesin' for a CZ Shadow Tac II which is a custom option they list for around $1300. But not for any particular sport. Just for a great shooting all steel gun. Never seen one though.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

It doesn't take much to make a Glock good to go IMO. Light striker spring and heavy trigger return spring. I do go wtih the ejector blocks with the overtravel stop. So for $30 you'll have a super nice trigger and that's all I run. Add in sights first and you are done.
    A71593

User Tag List