Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Selecting competition pistol

Site Supporter
    I think the Glock 34 with replacement sights, kydex OWB holster and mag pouches, and many case of 9mm ammo is the ticket for an entry competition shooter. You can get your feet wet and compete in USPSA, IDPA, 3 Gun, Steel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I think the Glock 34 with replacement sights, kydex OWB holster and mag pouches, and many case of 9mm ammo is the ticket for an entry competition shooter. You can get your feet wet and compete in USPSA, IDPA, 3 Gun, Steel, etc.
    Add a dry fire / competition book or 3, and preferably some training and I would agree. You could get by with less hardware.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Pro tip: they can win with anything you put in their hands be it HK, Tanfo, CZ, Glock. It literally does not matter. DA metal guns is not a classic tradition, it is a rather recent thing you can thank people like Stoeger for.

Unless you're already a high end GM (in which case you wouldn't be asking questions) the gun you use has maybe a 1% effect on your skill when you compare it to how often and how quality your training is.

It's your money and you can buy whatever makes you feel great inside, and that's fine, but if I were in your shoes I'd think it'd be a big waste of money.
    I guarantee that an M shooting a Glock will not be an M shooting a Hipoint
    Likewise, a GM shooting a Hipoint won't be a GM

Some guns are legitimately better than others. In some cases, yes, the differences are more preferential and the changes are more lateral than pure upgrades, this can include ergonomic differences. On the other hand there are performance differences eg the accuracy from 1st gen M&Ps and things like heel mag releases...

Also, DA metal guns have been on the scene for a while now, and especially not just in the US.

Do you carry a gun for defense? If so, just having One Gun will allow for efficient training and stay away from possible screw ups stemming from different platforms. If it's a HK then I would say you are already down that road a bit, why not stick with that?
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I guarantee that an M shooting a Glock will not be an M shooting a Hipoint
    Likewise, a GM shooting a Hipoint won't be a GM

Some guns are legitimately better than others. In some cases, yes, the differences are more preferential and the changes are more lateral than pure upgrades, this can include ergonomic differences. On the other hand there are performance differences eg the accuracy from 1st gen M&Ps and things like heel mag releases...

Also, DA metal guns have been on the scene for a while now, and especially not just in the US.
    Replace HiPoint with a non-joke brand. If you believe Vogel can't wipe the floor with everyone here with a Glock as much as a random ass Walther...

He actually put time into getting good. The Glocks he used were completely irrelevant.

It's your money. All I'm saying is I'd be kicking myself for ever bubbling up the logic of bothering to buy a "competition" specific gun. But I also couldn't care less about shooting open or limited division where that's actually required to compete at a respectable level.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Replace HiPoint with a non-joke brand. If you believe Vogel can't wipe the floor with everyone here with a Glock as much as a random ass Walther...

He actually put time into getting good. The Glocks he used were completely irrelevant.

It's your money. All I'm saying is I'd be kicking myself for ever bubbling up the logic of bothering to buy a "competition" specific gun. But I also couldn't care less about shooting open or limited division where that's actually required to compete at a respectable level.
    The Walther fits in (mostly) with lateral move on my list (I still consider it inferior to the Glock for a few reasons though)

Smith and Wesson is a non joke brand and they have been uncompetitive. Same for Springfield XD's minus in the hands of a single person.

There is also something to be said about buying a competition gun that is purely for competition- they tend to be fun to shoot. You are way more likely to have fun shooting your comp gun at a match than to need your carry gun so I think there is an argument to be made as to value in terms of usage. I am saying this and I am not even a fan of USPSA guns that lack "real world" utility, however I do understand fun.

If it motivates you to train on it I'm all for it
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

Almost all the time you hear some dude online rambling about it's the shooter/guitarist/driver/rider/photographer not the gun/gear/car/bike/camera and lens and then you go on to see they have a $5000 pair of STI's, Gibson and Mesa, 911, $30k Panigale, or $20k in glass. Tools matter.
    I'll run with that photography metaphor, since I was a pro photographer in high school and college. You know those pistols so worn there's no finish left? I owned cameras like that. Here's how I'd sum it up: Quality gear matters because when you're shooting 60,000 frames a year, crappy gear will break. That's why top pro cameras are so expensive, they're strong and better sealed against the elements. The fancy features are largely irrelevant. The other thing that matters is the lens, because you can soften a sharp image, but can do only so much to improve a not-sharp one.

I'll let someone else figure out exactly how that translates to guns, but pretty sure most everyone here understands about the reliability thing. Beyond that, good tools maybe make the job a little easier for someone who already knows how to use them.
    Last edited by Salamander; 08-26-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Currently I am in the market for a competition pistol.

I have been using my HK VP9 which is a great gun but want to get a pistol dedicated to competition.

I will be shooting local IDPA and 3 gun matches with it. I prefer to keep the caliber 9mm, I am not interested in .40.

After reading through bunches of rule books, it looks like I can use either of the models I am looking at: Glock 34 or an STI DVC Limited.

I realize these are hugely on opposite ends of the price scale. If I go with the G34, I am looking at going with Taran Tactical to get all the modifications up front rather than start with a base and part it together. I could also get a standard 34 and add arts that I would like to change, Glock upgrades with the exception of milling slides and cutting barrels are not out of my realm of ability.

For the STI, I like the idea of getting a gun that I can easily grow into and don't have to go through several guns to get a highly competitive pistol.

Any suggestions for those of you who may have gone down this path already? I appreciate any helpful guidance and input.
    What’s your current IDPA qualification? Where are you typically finding yourself in. The overall division rankings at your local match?

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I've been wanting a cool ass blaster for some time and snagged those Shadow 2's, worth looking into. They satisfy the whole I want a gun that has some intangible BS that makes me happy and can serve as a confidence booster when I have a bad day with Glocks because no matter how utilitarian people lead off I think everyone should have something that's just flat out cool.
    I love my Shadow 2, but I don’t think it’s legal in IDPA, which is one of the sports mentioned by the OP.

User Tag List