Thread: Gold Dot 115gr (53614)

Gold Dot 115gr (53614)

I know it's 115gr, which isn't generally recommended, but how bad of a choice is this round? It seems to be the only standard pressure GD 9mm round that will work in a spectrum of barrels - from short to long. Thanks.

147 gr seems to work just fine in barrels from 3" to 16"...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Thank you Doc. Always appreciate your expertise. I just want to be sure - are you saying that the 147gr Gold Dot (53619) will expand reliably out of something like a Shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Bwr0055 View Post
    Thank you Doc. Always appreciate your expertise. I just want to be sure - are you saying that the 147gr Gold Dot (53619) will expand reliably out of something like a Shield?
    The M&P Shield has a barrel length of 3.1". So unless I'm missing something that's probably exactly what he's saying.

Well engineered 9 mm 147 gr typically has less variation in performance over a wide range of barrel lengths than other weight 9 mm projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    147 gr seems to work just fine in barrels from 3" to 16"...
    That is one of the things that would concern me regarding a PCC, would an expanding bullet work well at the higher velocities? Or, would a non-expanding bullet work better.

Can you tell us further how well the 147 gr Gold Dot works in a 16" barrel? Thanks.

They work fine out of MP5's. Couldn't tell you out of a 16" carbine, as pistol caliber carbines are an abortion and abomination best avoided.

Ha! Yes, I knew your opinion regarding pcc's. I've been of the opinion that any of the good 9mm loads on your list would be driven too fast out of a 16" barrel. Maybe the Gold Dot's would hold together. But I am guessing that they would either over expand and underpenetrate or peel all the way back and become, in the words of Tnoutdoors9, a meteorite as seen in some of the 10mm loads pushing 180gr Gold Dots at over 1300 fps. I figured that the 147gr Gold Dot would probably work best out of a 16" barrel. However, I have never seen a reputable test.

User Tag List