Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 158gr XTP in a J-Frame?

158gr XTP in a J-Frame?

I noticed Hornady is loading a 38 Special with their 158gr XTP. This seems like it might be a good low-recoil option especially in the wintertime when penetration can be an issue. Has anyone tested this ammo or have any experience with this loading?

Zero expansion from a 2" gun. The 125 XTP does a little better.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Zero expansion from a 2" gun. The 125 XTP does a little better.
    Source?

My own use. I haven't seen any published data on the XTP's in .38 special. I have shot lots of animals and other stuff with XTP's.

In general, the XTP would not be my choice in a .38, other than a 4-5" gun for hunting. I'd go with one of the various "FBI" loads myself, or the DPX or 135 Gold Dot.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    My own use. I haven't seen any published data on the XTP's in .38 special. I have shot lots of animals and other stuff with XTP's.

In general, the XTP would not be my choice in a .38, other than a 4-5" gun for hunting. I'd go with one of the various "FBI" loads myself, or the DPX or 135 Gold Dot.
    Gotcha. Would be curious to see gel testing of the XTP. I have the 135 gold dot now myself.

I would as well. I tested them 20 years ago in gel from a S&W 642, but I do not remember the exact results. They work good from a lever gun on coyotes and deer.

Site Supporter
    Ran some of these through the chrono today
    717 fps 6 shot average from a 4" M10
    733 fps 5 shot average from a 2" M60. Strange that the snub ran faster then the service length barrel. Need to check BCG on M10.

The XTP's generally don't expand from a .38 sp 2", especially through heavy clothing...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Ran some of these through the chrono today
    717 fps 6 shot average from a 4" M10
    733 fps 5 shot average from a 2" M60. Strange that the snub ran faster then the service length barrel. Need to check BCG on M10.
    BCG on M10 used in test was .013. All of my other older Smiths run .004-.005. Glad I followed up. This particular M10 did HD duty for the bride and is a situational carry gun for me. Time to find a good S&W plumber and get it corrected.
    Will redo 4" chrono test with a different M10 soon.

What velocity would you expect from a 4"?

User Tag List