Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA Training

Quote Originally Posted by Sig66 View Post
    I've seen some of Seeklander's drills on Trigger Time, but so far, nothing on DA trigger skills. Defoor said in a video that the days of exposed hammer DA guns was long gone, so I didn't expect to see him getting into any of the details I'm seeking, although he may...I'll have to check on Gonzales.

We do shoot DA only, fire, de-cock, fire, de-cock; that is how we made most of our progress, but we've slacked off on this a little, so we need to get back to it.
    Last year? Maybe 2 years ago Defoor spent some significant time behind a P229. At least it was documented as such on his social media channel(s).

When it comes to learning the DA trigger pull, and the transition to SA, Ernest Langdon seems to be the primary name that pops up, and he's great, but are there any others that I'm missing? I'm talking about guys who primarily shoot DA.

Thanks.
    What is the question here, specifically?

Is it just the transition from DA to SA? If so, buy Stoeger's dry fire book and get to work.

If the question is tactical doctrine, e.g. "Should you decock while moving around", I'd ask Pannone or someone else qualified.
    (I'll add that in IDPA/USPSA nobody I know decocks while running around...)

There really isn't much to it... I think Ernest really covered about as much as you could regarding it. I'd add in that the Roger's "flip'n'press" (or as gamers would say, "Slap dat ho!") triggering technique removes a lot of the "yips" associated with DA/SA transitions.

What Les said.

But, I will add that gripping the gun as hard as you are supposed to takes away a lot of the issues associated with the supposed DA/SA transition boogie man.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 03-21-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I would agree that this isn't something you need a class for if we're just talking about the mechanics of shooting a TDA. It takes a bit to master a TDA system and really ingrain it, but the concept of how it works and what you need to do and when is pretty obvious and not really worth spending the money on a class.

Watch a few videos if necessary, then grip the shit out of the gun and do dry and live fire. Don't practice in either just DA or just SA mode, do both, as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    It takes a bit to master a TDA system and really ingrain it
    Splitting hairs a bit here, but, I think that same could be said for any trigger system - I mean, loads of people "low-left" with a Glock too...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    ... If the question is tactical doctrine, e.g. "Should you decock while moving around", I'd ask Pannone or someone else qualified.
    (I'll add that in IDPA/USPSA nobody I know decocks while running around...)...
    I'm not Pannone and I might not be qualified? My training and experience regarding movement has been to decock before moving. Shoot, assess, decock, communicate, then move if necessary.

Splitting hairs a bit here, but, I think that same could be said for any trigger system - I mean, loads of people "low-left" with a Glock too...
    This is definitely true, I think I was speaking to the fact that a two-variable trigger is inherently more complicated than a single-variable trigger. Is this difference significant or meaningful? I'd say definitely not in the long run and is certainly outweighed by the benefits the "complexity" of the TDA trigger system brings.

What is the question here, specifically?

Is it just the transition from DA to SA? If so, buy Stoeger's dry fire book and get to work.

If the question is tactical doctrine, e.g. "Should you decock while moving around", I'd ask Pannone or someone else qualified.
    (I'll add that in IDPA/USPSA nobody I know decocks while running around...)

There really isn't much to it... I think Ernest really covered about as much as you could regarding it. I'd add in that the Roger's "flip'n'press" (or as gamers would say, "Slap dat ho!") triggering technique removes a lot of the "yips" associated with DA/SA transitions.
    Les, simply put, I'm just trying to be sure I understand all the nuances of trigger discipline, so that I can make the most accurate DA shot I can. I never thought much about the de-cocking while moving, but it's something to consider; I guess it may depend on how long you think the delay in shooting may be, or if you're in rough terrain, where sure footing may be an issue (?) Honestly, this is a little past my abilities right now, but thanks for mentioning it, it's something I'd enjoy working on.

I've been known to over-think things, so maybe I am a little. As I said, I have figured out somethings, but I just want to be sure I get all of what I need.

Thanks again for the replies.

Les, simply put, I'm just trying to be sure I understand all the nuances of trigger discipline, so that I can make the most accurate DA shot I can. I never thought much about the de-cocking while moving, but it's something to consider; I guess it may depend on how long you think the delay in shooting may be, or if you're in rough terrain, where sure footing may be an issue (?) Honestly, this is a little past my abilities right now, but thanks for mentioning it, it's something I'd enjoy working on.

I've been known to over-think things, so maybe I am a little. As I said, I have figured out somethings, but I just want to be sure I get all of what I need.

Thanks again for the replies.
    I was taught and I advocate to de-cock before you walk, de-cock before you talk. As soon as your sights leave the target and your finger leaves the trigger, it's time to de-cock. It should be an automatic part of "dismounting" the gun (i.e. your sights leave the target, your finger leaves the trigger, and you de-cock).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    This is definitely true, I think I was speaking to the fact that a two-variable trigger is inherently more complicated than a single-variable trigger. Is this difference significant or meaningful? I'd say definitely not in the long run and is certainly outweighed by the benefits the "complexity" of the TDA trigger system brings.
    I think we often associate our skill level or ability to train to be what most others bring to shooting/carrying a gun. Unfortunately the majority would never take the time or interest to master a TDA gun or seek out training to do so. I was listening to Field Craft Survival podcast and the host (a 19 year special ops veteran) basically said the TDA was too complicated to waste time on.. If people are hearing that type of guy say that they all begin to follow that word like gospel..The same guy advocated getting a lighter and crisper trigger in a glock, with seemingly disregard for the increased risk of ad/nd.

User Tag List