Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA Training

As previously mentioned there's a whole lot of guys shooting DA, it's not a huge hurdle to performance considering it's only one shot out of many.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

TDA is blown way more out of proportion than it should have ever been. People worried about the first DA pull need to take a long hard look at revolver shooters that can shoot way faster than them. People worried about having to decock need to take a long hard look at just about every long gun that they'll ever touch. People worried about the DA to SA transition need to take a long hard look at the fact that there really isn't a "transition" as SLG pointed out.

TDA gives imperfect humans extra layers of safety without asking much in return and arguably gives you a better than average trigger pull in return.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    As previously mentioned there's a whole lot of guys shooting DA, it's not a huge hurdle to performance considering it's only one shot out of many.
    In sport shooting.

I agree that it's not a huge hindrance to performance, but I think so because with competent instruction the DA/SA transition is NBD -- not because it sucks, but you only have to do it on the first shot of the stage.

My 'stage' is going to probably be about 2-3 rounds long, and it would not be OK for it to be 50% shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    In sport shooting.

I agree that it's not a huge hindrance to performance, but I think so because with competent instruction the DA/SA transition is NBD -- not because it sucks, but you only have to do it on the first shot of the stage.

My 'stage' is going to probably be about 2-3 rounds long, and it would not be OK for it to be 50% shitty.
    TLG (and I believe others) advocate(d) to decock between strings of fire within a stage. Shoot, decock, move, shoot, decock, move. No different than handling a rifle. Shoot, safe, move, off safe, shoot, safe, move, etc.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Super exactly
    Ignore Alien Orders

Sport shooting or not, if you practice before the day you get attacked by crazed rapists it should be a non-issue
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Thanks for the responses. Keep in mind, that although I've been shooting shotguns & rifles most of my adult life, I've only been shooting defensive pistols consistently, since last January. In that time, I have been shooting 3-4 times a month. My work schedule keeps me away from home for 7 days at a time, although I then have 7 days off, so I have plenty of time to catch up.

Over time, I've figured out, instinctively I guess, some small details that have proved helpful, such as the speed at which I pull the trigger, has a huge influence on my accuracy. Just last Sunday, we went to the range, and I was hitting low, drawing from my holster, and finally decided that I had to be using too much tension, and pulling harder on the trigger than I should, and when I just lightened up on my trigger finger, and pulled deliberately, but smoothly, with complete follow through, the rounds were very close to my POA.
    Another day, I was shooting, and noticed that I had way too much tension in my thumbs, and when I relaxed them, my accuracy improved. These are the little things that don't seem to get discussed much, but in my experience, seem to matter. I have to say, this forum gets into most of these small details, much more than any other forum I've read, so it's much appreciated.

My wife and I really like our Sigs (220, 226, M11 A-1), so I'm just trying to become as proficient with them as practically possible. We did a pistol course back in December, so we just want to continue to work some of the drills we learned. We both need to get busy with some dry fire work.

Three more that the Op can add his list of versed DA/SA instructors…

Seeklander,
    Jeff Gonzalez,
    Kyle Defoor,

I might be in the minority here (and biased by the fact that I almost exclusively shoot and carry DA/SA pistols) but I can consistently outperform myself to the first shot from the draw in DA vs a single action or striker type. I suspect it's something I could work through with some significant mileage with a different system, but there's something about being able to be quite a bit more aggressive on the trigger as things become aligned/refined. IME, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Three more that the Op can add his list of versed DA/SA instructors…

Seeklander,
    Jeff Gonzalez,
    Kyle Defoor,

I might be in the minority here (and biased by the fact that I almost exclusively shoot and carry DA/SA pistols) but I can consistently outperform myself to the first shot from the draw in DA vs a single action or striker type. I suspect it's something I could work through with some significant mileage with a different system, but there's something about being able to be quite a bit more aggressive on the trigger as things become aligned/refined. IME, FWIW.
    I've seen some of Seeklander's drills on Trigger Time, but so far, nothing on DA trigger skills. Defoor said in a video that the days of exposed hammer DA guns was long gone, so I didn't expect to see him getting into any of the details I'm seeking, although he may...I'll have to check on Gonzales.

We do shoot DA only, fire, de-cock, fire, de-cock; that is how we made most of our progress, but we've slacked off on this a little, so we need to get back to it.

I'm not sure I would consider any of those three voracious DA/SA guys. But all three have significant experience with DA/SA platforms and learned to shoot them at quite a high level. Seeklander was very involved in the development of the Air Marshal training programs. Defoor and Gonzales for obvious reasons, given their NSW backgrounds. They may not currently drink the DA/SA koolaid, but all three definitively know how to teach the system.

I might recommend spending a majority of time working two shot iterations that include both the DA and the SA press. It's exceptionally valuable across the gamut, whether you're working on rapid stuff from the holster or working on marksmanship at the 25. While it's perhaps a little counter-intuitive, the troublesome part for many new DA/SA shooters is the first SA shot, not the DA one. While finger position, direction of the press (read basic mechanics) shouldn't change between the two shots, going from a long and heavier DA, to a lighter crisp SA can be a recipe for some anticipation with newer shooters. Shooting one-hole drills up close in two shot increments is a great way to start evaluating and building your skills.

User Tag List