Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on a production holster

Just some random thoughts. I'm one of those guys that will pay more for quality, ESPECIALLY on a "high end" item like a nice leather holster. I agree that the quality of leather used in Desantis and Galco have dropped a lot in the last decade. I had a circa 2000 Desantis Speed Scabbard for a P228 that lasted through six years of daily carry in hot/humid environments and three extended deployments to combat zones. It didn't look pretty at the end of that, but it still held the pistol just where I wanted and gave a near perfect combination of retention and draw speed. More recent production examples, unfortunately, have been so shoddy that I neither buy them nor recommend them anymore. Likewise GALCO - their one size fits none approach to a lot of their holsters just turns me off anyway.

I think your direct competition would be the Mitch Rosen Express line, and you're pricing looks on target there.

I wouldn't start with the 1911, personally, rather the Glock. I think you need to start with something that's going to sell in some volume, and, frankly, Glock is probably a better starting point for that.

I like the idea of an Amazon start, but, I buy everything off Amazon...

Site Supporter
    I would bet that a ready-made version of the Watson Special at this price point for popular models would do well.

Based on feedback here and a couple of phone calls from members, I am going to alter my initial thoughts and go with a G17/19 holster. I am still plenty open to thoughts.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

I am probably a minority in this, but I really prefer horsehide for IWB holsters as I find horsehide fares better in the humid summers in terms of moisture absorption compared to cowhide. As such, I would still buy custom, incurring the bigger cost and longer wait. I guess Mitch Rosen would say that I "have been successfully marketed to" the virtues of horsehide.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Just some random thoughts. I'm one of those guys that will pay more for quality, ESPECIALLY on a "high end" item like a nice leather holster. I agree that the quality of leather used in Desantis and Galco have dropped a lot in the last decade. I had a circa 2000 Desantis Speed Scabbard for a P228 that lasted through six years of daily carry in hot/humid environments and three extended deployments to combat zones. It didn't look pretty at the end of that, but it still held the pistol just where I wanted and gave a near perfect combination of retention and draw speed. More recent production examples, unfortunately, have been so shoddy that I neither buy them nor recommend them anymore. Likewise GALCO - their one size fits none approach to a lot of their holsters just turns me off anyway.

I think your direct competition would be the Mitch Rosen Express line, and you're pricing looks on target there.

I wouldn't start with the 1911, personally, rather the Glock. I think you need to start with something that's going to sell in some volume, and, frankly, Glock is probably a better starting point for that.

I like the idea of an Amazon start, but, I buy everything off Amazon...
    Holy cow, I recently bit at the promotion for Sparks Summer Specials in stock and ready to ship for about $100 from their FB page and Brownells. My 1911 SS I bought in the early '80's is awesome and still going strong. What I got; I returned to Brownells immediately. It was a hard shell, nearly as hard as kydex. It may have been leather but didn't feel like it to me. Maybe that's just how they are now, it was the SS II I guess. Not my cup of tea for leather though.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-21-2017 at 07:49 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Holy cow, I recently bit at the promotion for Sparks Summer Specials in stock and ready to ship for about $100 from their FB page and Brownells. My 1911 SS I bought in the early '80's is awesome and still going strong. What I got; I returned to Brownells immediately. It was a hard shell, nearly as hard as kydex. It may have been leather but didn't feel like it to me. Maybe that's just how they are now, it was the SS II I guess. Not my cup of tea for leather though.
    I had a similar experience with a Kramer Summer Special copy. Unit bought some pre-deployment and I don't think anyone used them. To make matters worse, they didn't actually fit the pistol... at all. They were clearly meant to (ie didn't get the wrong holster for the pistol); they just did a terrible job at accomplishing it.

FWIW, I think starting with Glock is generally the smart way to go by accessing a huge part of the market, but it's also a two-edged sword... with possibly every other holster maker producing Glock holsters, what makes yours stand out? And what will you do to communicate that? (rhetorically, but a question your customers will be asking as they look at your products, and one they'll need to answer before purchasing) My experiences are very close to those @jwperry expressed in post #7.

What product do you currently create that you wish you could reduce cost/price and turnaround time on? What do you currently see the highest demand for?

Site Supporter
    I agree with the Glock 17 strategy. I'd buy one in a plain, unadorned, brown horsehide, 15-25* cant, IWB or OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by JRCHolsters View Post
    Based on feedback here and a couple of phone calls from members, I am going to alter my initial thoughts and go with a G17/19 holster. I am still plenty open to thoughts.
    Of course, I'm getting lambasted on the other thread for using Stealthgear - and checked out your site. I think someone made a great point, why pay $109, when you can get a JRC for a few bucks more. JRC? Huh, never thought of it. I checked out your site and now I'm drooling. Even having never handled one, I can tell it's a completely different product than a Galco or other leather holsters. I for one, would seriously consider a production G19 holster. Would you customize it with an XC1? Having said that, it's no longer my primary EDC. Do you care if I PM you on your thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

Yet another p-f post making me want to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My normal wear holster is an Alessi CQC for the G19, which I bought before Lou's demise. In around 2012 I bought a CQC for the P30, and it's made out of such soft, floppy leather it might as well be suede. I guess the various makers are having a bunch of problems with leather supply.

In the case of the Alessi, it was particularly galling, based on the price I paid. I should have sent it back, but I had to have a holster RIGHT THEN for a trip followed by a course, so I just kept it.

Back to the original concept - I agree with the Glocks as a starting point. Many have mentioned they'd prefer an IWB or AIWB option - might be worth listening to the chorus. Also, for OWB, 25 degrees seems like a pretty severe cant - I'm assuming it's designed to be worn with the complete pistol behind the point of the hip? A 5-10 degree cant rides very nicely OWB justbehind the point of the hip...
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 03-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.

I agree 25 cant is pretty severe 5 to 10 would be a better starting point in my humble opinion.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

User Tag List