Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A thank you to Massad Ayoob

Site Supporter
    While on a road trip late last year, I had lunch in the NH town where Mr. Ayoob worked. This caused me to reflect on the profound effect his writing has had on me and on the way I think about police work, personal protection, and the law. Thank you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Reading his book The Truth About Self-Protection as a college freshman in 1982 set me on the path I am on today. Before that book, I had no grasp on the idea that guns and martial arts should be integrated. He was the first one to not just pay public lip service to that concept, but actually embody it and actively promote it.

Last year at TacCon, I even tried to wheedle him into writing an updated version of that seminal book. I'm going to keep pestering him.
    Heh. I've pestered him about that too. That book got accidentally thrown away at a picnic while I was in the middle of first reading it back in '95 and I had my friends turn around and drive back to Piedmont Park so I could fish it out of the trash can and dab the salsa off the cover.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I took ayoobs LFI-1 back in 92? With my girlfriend. I enjoyed it. She called it the worse vacation she ever had. We didn't last.

Last year at TacCon, I even tried to wheedle him into writing an updated version of that seminal book. I'm going to keep pestering him.
    Mas is smarter these day, he has folks write his books for him:
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Mas is smarter these day, he has folks write his books for him:

I was there when he asked Craig to contribute. I'm really looking forward to that book a lot. But I already told Mas that this book is NOT a substitute for a new edition of "Truth". He looked at me kindly and laughed. I am pretty sure that was a very nice way to tell me to piss off.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Heh. I've pestered him about that too.

Let's make a coordinated plan of attack to convince him.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Let's make a coordinated plan of attack to convince him.
    Somehow I missed this thread. Bumping to say that the Mas book under duscussion had a major impact on my me during my high school/college student years as well. I can still see my old copy of "truth" in the small shelf built into my nightstand, along with a handful of other seminal books kept close to hand. The first multi-day shooting course I ever took was LFI-1, in Coeur d'Alene, ID, back in 95 or so, and I've still got the training bug to this day. I'm a fan.

I read, "Stressfire," (1&2) and also, "In the Gravest Extreme," and those sent me further down the path, as a young man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish more of his older works were available as ebooks, either Kindle or .pdfs.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Heh. I've pestered him about that too. That book got accidentally thrown away at a picnic while I was in the middle of first reading it back in '95 and I had my friends turn around and drive back to Piedmont Park so I could fish it out of the trash can and dab the salsa off the cover.
    I still have my copy, bought in 1984... along with a copy of "In the Gravest Extreme" that I bought with it. One of his recommendations for getting started was a Colt Detective Special as a concealed weapon, so I haunted a few gun shows in Rapides Parish until I found one... I still have that pistol, too ;-)
    Last edited by Pscyclepath; 06-04-2017 at 08:50 AM.

User Tag List