Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: APPRECIATE SOME INPUT ON GEAR

APPRECIATE SOME INPUT ON GEAR

It's been a number of years since I've been involved in LE, and my duty gear went out with the tide in August of 2005.

I'm in the process of becoming a reserve deputy with the sheriff's department here and will soon have to think about re-acquiring some basics. I always used the Safariland holster with the hood, 6280 I think.

Granted this is not a very critical issue, but could someone school me on the "hi ride" versus "low ride" options on duty holsters? Pros and cons?

Is there a better option than the lowest common denominator S&W hinged cuffs?

What light?

Many thanks....

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    It's been a number of years since I've been involved in LE, and my duty gear went out with the tide in August of 2005.

I'm in the process of becoming a reserve deputy with the sheriff's department here and will soon have to think about re-acquiring some basics. Welcome back! Are you nuts?

I always used the Safariland holster with the hood, 6280 I think. Safariland is still good to go. Check out holstersops.com for some decent deals. The SLS/ALS combo meal is the heat for most street guys here. I have that holster as well, and I'm digging it. I wear an outer carrier so just the SLS will not work for me.

Granted this is not a very critical issue, but could someone school me on the "hi ride" versus "low ride" options on duty holsters? Pros and cons? Hi/Med ride worked for me when I was wearing an inner carrier. I prefer a low ride for the last few years as I've had the outside carrier. It can be a PITA in the vehicle but otherwise it's not an issue.

Is there a better option than the lowest common denominator S&W hinged cuffs? I never used hinged cuffs so have no opinion.

What light? That's a wormhole... I would only offer this, pick up a rechargeable one that has the USB charger option. When my light starts to go I can plug it into the MDT to charge.

Many thanks.... Seriously, best of luck dude. Be dangerous.

George
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Unless you're carrying a 1911, H&K w/thumb safety or something of the like, I'd definitely look into the ALS/SLS holster. The ALS/SLS is also easier to off hand draw from than a properly adjusted 6280. I really like the 7TS material, it never looks great, but is never looks bad because it doesn't show much wear. You can also wash it in a sink with a brush and dish soap.

I don't like the low ride holsters because they don't work with any of our car seats. If you don't like one or the other a new shank is around $15.

I think the old shim proof Hiatts are the best around. (I've hear the new Hiatt/Safariland cuffs are junk). Outside of that it's hard to go wrong with S&W. S&W cuffs are like little puppies, if you turn your back on them for a second they'll get lonely and go home with someone else, at least they're cheap and easy to replace.

Edited:

What pistol are you carrying and what are you looking for?
    Last edited by txdpd; 06-02-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

G17 gen4
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    As you probably know, the trend is toward smaller lights. As Paul suggested, I'd look for one with a USB charging option. You might also consider a dual fuel light that has a rechargeable battery stick, but also takes 123 batteries if need be.

Paul offered solid advice per usual.

I have on caveat as a dude who spent 90% of my patrol time on nights I don't like rechargeable flashlights. That said I kept a streamlight stinger led longer rechargeable in the car that I used on traffic stops and could get out with. On my belt I carried a surefire g2x that fit into one of the older surefire light holsters made for a G3 that held three spare batteries. I also had a surefire eb1 backup on me and an x300u (previous models too) on my pistol. I always had dudes with out lights in the city and would loan my issued stinger. The batteries always get messed up in rechargeable lights. I like to be able to change batteries on the fly that I have on me and have a functional light and have had to do so on the job.

For holsters definitely safariland I'd stay with a 6360 or the 7360 which is the same thing as the first but made of the new material and manufacturing process and it doesn't have sued lining like the 6360. Those holsters come with mid ride ubl (belt loop) but you could order the others fairly cheap on holsters op to try as well.

As far as cuffs all I have ever used in smith model 100 chains but that's because my first agency mandated that and I just kept my m&p melonited versions when I went to my current agency.

Also don't over look the belt, if you can rock nylon I'd check out Jones Tactical, Volund gear works, or ares for a good two inch duty belt.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Paul offered solid advice per usual.

I have on caveat as a dude who spent 90% of my patrol time on nights I don't like rechargeable flashlights.
    I hear you and 100% agree, but there may be a work around.

Back when the incandescent UltraStinger was the brightest I could find (c. 2006?) I had 3 of the rechargeable battery sticks in my duty bag. Dunno if the new lights have easily replaced battery modules. Might be an option.

OP, you might check with e&e guys on cuff recommendations. Ed Calderon is the first to come to mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The issue the Safariland 6360 holster. I'd stay with that. We've T&E'd the newer Safariland 7360 holster. But the draw is less forgiving in that it needs to be straight up or the gun may hang up slightly.

I recently retired my Streetlight Stinger LED HD for a Streetlight Strion model. About the same light and about half to one third the weight and size.

I've always liked the S&W hinge cuffs. Many prefer chain cuffs. I've seen too many thin suspects have too much movement and ability to access front pockets when cuffed form the rear with chain cuffs. At the end, it's a, "Ford vs. Chevy" thing.

Hi ride vs. Low Ride has more to do what body shape. Many female officers with short torsos need a low ride holster or the butt of the pistol will be in their arm pit. For a normal male officer, the Safariland holster as it comes out of the bag is about right.

I'll be the dissenting opinion on the ALS/SLS holster. Hate it. I use a 6395 with the added hood guard to make it a level 2. It's a low ride. Works good for me. Don't have problems with the car seats. I can still draw from it with my seat belt on if needed.

I've always preferred Peerless hinged cuffs.

I use a Surefire G2x and a Fenix PD20 for lights. G2 on my belt and PD20 clipped between the buttons on my polo. I have a rechargeable in my bag but haven't used it in I don't know how long.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I'm currently carrying a ALS 6390 in a low ride with the hood. I have the Quick Locking System on it so I can transfer it to my thigh rig during SWAT calls. I'm assigned a Tahoe and I have no issues with the low ride. I don't remember any issues when driving the spare Crown Vic.

I've always carried Peerless cuffs. In patrol I carried hinged and chain for smaller folks. I currently only carry hinged because I don't cuff that many people and the hinged work for most people.

I'm old school so I carry a Maglite rechargeable LED light. I also carry a Estrela Night Reaper on my vest. I use the Maglite on traffic stops and contacts. The Estrela when I'm working my dog. I have a TR1 light on my pistol.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List