Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which Dillon for a complete noob?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    And as previously mentioned, Dillons hold their resale value better than Toyota Tacomas
    Let's not get crazy now.

I'm not in a position to set up a reloading station at home, small rented apartment and no access to a man cave...

For the future tho, looking at the Mk7 I get serious gear lust...

I can see myself enjoying reloading, I know that sounds weird, but I would rather start with a simple base and expand it.

Is there any reason to not start with a 650 and then add all the extras later? Will it save money to buy it all in one hit (and/or just get the 1050 in the first place?) or are there hinderances in the upgrade path if it's done in stages?

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I'm not in a position to set up a reloading station at home, small rented apartment and no access to a man cave...

For the future tho, looking at the Mk7 I get serious gear lust...

I can see myself enjoying reloading, I know that sounds weird, but I would rather start with a simple base and expand it.

Is there any reason to not start with a 650 and then add all the extras later? Will it save money to buy it all in one hit (and/or just get the 1050 in the first place?) or are there hinderances in the upgrade path if it's done in stages?
    Reloading is kinda fun, but it becomes a chore, really... Keeping the beast fed is a lot of work.

They're different presses. The 1050 is easier to automate in some ways than a 650, but also slightly more complicated to get "dialed-in". I like the priming system of the 1050 way way way more than the 650, but that's just me. I also think the toolhead design is more robust on the 1050. Lastly, swaging cases is a big plus if you're using a lot of NATO brass.

That said, an automated machine doesn't exactly lend itself to "tweaking" - it is for this reason that a simpler press can be a big help. I wouldn't want to start off with an automated 1050 and "debug" the system. Seriously not fun debugging even when you KNOW what you're doing.
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 03-21-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I didn't, at all, take it that way, FWIW.
    I like to err on the side of caution. I am still kinda new here and have been enjoying the relatively low dickhead ratio compared to the rest of the dang ol internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintsky View Post
    Yeah, the the speed advantage isn't really there until you add the case feeder at the least which is another couple of hundred. Then you need a conversion kit for the case feeder if you want to go from 9mm to .45acp.....etc. Then if you want to go from 9mm to .223, it isn't a piece of cake. It takes me about 2 min to go from 9mm to .223 on a 550.
    Just a point of clarification, the 650 conversions are more expensive because they INCLUDE the case feed conversion parts. At first I didn't get why they were more.

When my wife and I met I was sharing a two bedroom apartment with a buddy and had a workbench in my bedroom with my Rockchucker mounted on it. My wife still reminisces about hanging her bra on it...

I can see myself enjoying reloading, I know that sounds weird
    Some people hate it, I find it brings me a sense of accomplishment. Some people fill their basement with woodworking tools, I would rather just go buy a damn table and spend my leisure time reloading ammo!

I would rather start with a simple base and expand it. Is there any reason to not start with a 650 and then add all the extras later?
    I also like to invest incrementally, and you could get a 650 without a case feeder, buy a simple scale and probably a F.A.R.T. tumbler and start loading. You will (soon) want a feeder, and all sorts of other stuff (including maybe a 1050, but I just went to a 650 after three decades of 550s) but that will be thousands and thousands of rounds downrange later.

Les, I want to be you when I grow up.

Fun? You're the same sickos that get a sense of accomplishment doing the dishes or mowing a lawn. You're sick
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Fun? You're the same sickos that get a sense of accomplishment doing the dishes or mowing a lawn. You're sick
    There's a vast, VAST, difference in the sense of accomplishment from reloading vs. mowing the lawn or washing dishes.

Reloading started out fun and with a sense of accomplishment. Then I realized instead of saving money, I could shoot twice as much. Then I started shooting USPSA. Then I was debating if I really wanted to shoot, cause I just couldn't pull that handle anymore. Automated 1050 was a great choice.

User Tag List