Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Dillon for a complete noob?

Being retired, I can load any time I want to.
    I am not one of these guys who brags about how many cases of ammo he loaded last night, my usual schedule is to load enough to replace what I shot the last time out and enough for what I plan to shoot the next time out. Plus idle moments over the winter, which has left me with enough on hand for several months of IDPA.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Being retired, I can load any time I want to.
    I am not one of these guys who brags about how many cases of ammo he loaded last night, my usual schedule is to load enough to replace what I shot the last time out and enough for what I plan to shoot the next time out. Plus idle moments over the winter, which has left me with enough on hand for several months of IDPA.
    It can be most satisfying. I'm still in the afterglow from a productivity breakthough loading session last week.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I can't afford to shoot 600rds a week, so I am perfectly content with a 550 and the volume it gives me. The simplicity of it is nice, and caliber changes are a breeze between other handgun calibers and rifle. If I factor in the time it takes me to load primer tubes, lube cases, load up 100rds, then clean the lube off the cases it takes me about 15-17min for handgun. Yeah, I'm weird that I prefer to load handgun with lubed cases.....but it makes the whole operation smoother, easier, and I have noticed the tolerances on the reloaded rounds are tighter. At a nice relaxed pace, I will load 300rds of handgun in 1 hour which includes loading up ammo boxes, and cleaning/preping my equipment for next time. If your purpose to manufacture high volumes of one caliber, than it makes sense to go big and get the 650, or the 1050.

As for rust protection, I live in Louisiana so it is a must. I have a dehumidifier running for an hour every 2 hours to keep my small reloading room at an ideal level, and I just run a CLP coated gun patch over the steel areas that I have noticed can be a problem. Other steel areas that don't get touched very much, I run a Tuf-Cloth over them(like the dies) to keep any condensation from being a problem. Either way, the most important thing you can do is to seal off a room from the elements, and run that dehumidifier. That will also preserve your components.
    Last edited by Flintsky; 03-20-2017 at 07:20 PM.

650 is $100 more than the 550 and just as easy to swap calibers (same exact process basically) and has less steps/less user inputs needed.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    650 is $100 more than the 550 and just as easy to swap calibers (same exact process basically) and has less steps/less user inputs needed.
    I wish I knew this back when I bought my 550 =\

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Yeah, the the speed advantage isn't really there until you add the case feeder at the least which is another couple of hundred. Then you need a conversion kit for the case feeder if you want to go from 9mm to .45acp.....etc. Then if you want to go from 9mm to .223, it isn't a piece of cake. It takes me about 2 min to go from 9mm to .223 on a 550.

At this point if I decided that I needed the speed of faster system I would just go with a 1050 which has the swager built in. I appreciate the versatility and simplicity of the 550 and I would keep it for low volume and rifle calibers if I ever decided to go big with the 1050.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    I wish I knew this back when I bought my 550 =\

There's no real advantage until you add on the case feeder which is another couple of hundred dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintsky View Post
    Yeah, the the speed advantage isn't really there until you add the case feeder at the least which is another couple of hundred. Then you need a conversion kit for the case feeder if you want to go from 9mm to .45acp.....etc. Then if you want to go from 9mm to .223, it isn't a piece of cake. It takes me about 2 min to go from 9mm to .223 on a 550.

At this point if I decided that I needed the speed of faster system I would just go with a 1050 which has the swager built in. I appreciate the versatility and simplicity of the 550 and I would keep it for low volume and rifle calibers if I ever decided to go big with the 1050.
    But at least you have more upgrade options with the 650. The case feeder helps lots, and the extra station makes the bullet feeder easier without having to go with a combined seating/crimp die.

I periodically consider upgrading my 550 for multiple mixed calibers in low volume to a 650, but still haven't convinced myself to do it.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 03-20-2017 at 08:39 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Flintsky View Post
    There's no real advantage until you add on the case feeder which is another couple of hundred dollars.
    True, but you've got the option of going the case/bullet feeder route which seems to truly widen the distance between the 550 and 650 (yes in terms of cost) but also output.

650 is easier to setup automation in the long run with a bullet feeder and a Mark7 robot. You might never think you're going to get there, but you really never know. I never thought I'd have an automated 1050 and a USPSA GM card...

That said, sometimes you can find used 550's on Ebay for cheap - I bought mine for $350 with a bunch of dies off an old guy that was moving... You can also mount a case feeder and bullet feed on a 550 and use a seat/crimp combo die in station 4. Now, you just have to pull the handle and index the plate. Poor man's automation, LOL. (I may just do this at some point...)

I love the 550 - it is a simple, reliable, do-all press, but it is outshined by its "higher volume" brothers.

User Tag List