Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Dillon for a complete noob?

Question Which Dillon for a complete noob?

I resumed more regular practice some months ago. I had a few cases of ammo in storage before my "sabbatical" but these won't last me beyond a few more months. The SO has also found time to shoot so our joint consumption is close to 600 rounds a week.

I could just reorder factory or reman ammo, but I'm thinking reloading might be a better way to maintain availability and control cost. 9mm is all we use these days

Which Dillon presses should I consider? They have several choices and I don't quite know which would match my needs?

Also, does a high humidity environment affect the quality of reloads? I live close to the beach and the air here is both humid and salty. Any suggestions how to minimize humidity in a reloading room?

#Dillon650

#Dillon550

#Dillon1050
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-12-2017 at 12:55 PM.

650 with a case feeder, get the bullet feeder too if you can swing it.
    i used to wannabe

Take your expected volume, then double it. When ammo is cheaper you just shot more!

550 at the least, 650 better and more upgradable. I started with a 550 and upgraded straight to a 1050. At this point I would say to stretch as far as you can on the press.

Humidity and especially salt will affect the rustiness of your press and dies!!! Rusty reloading equipment is sadness. I suggest a dehumidifier with a drain and frequent use of lubricants designed for corroion resistance. Hornady Oneshot cleaner/lube on all dies at the very least. Eezox is a little smelly but excellent protectant.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

It also largely depends on your tolerance for reloading.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

My tolerance for reloading never improved over time, if anything, it was the exact opposite.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Mine either, it's pure work and burned free time to me. Might as well spring for the best you can reasonably afford unless it's a side hobby.

I wouldn't want to do 600 rounds per week on a 550b.

If you have a mentor that can help you a 650 is a good choice but if you're jumping right in alone I couldn't imagine learning on a 650. I recently upgraded to a 550b from a turret and it was still intimidating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I started from knowing absolutely nothing about reloading to going with a 650. The learning curve is a lot lower than you think, it's just a case of putting it together and reading through the well-written setup instructions.

Dillon 550.

Worst case you outgrow it. Then you either keep it and buy bigger, or sell it and buy bigger. Dillons hold their value, so you might be out $50-100 versus what you paid in a resale.

I keep a 550 to do the small-volume rifle reloading, and do the 9mm and 223 hi-volume stuff on a 1050.
    Last edited by Trigger; 03-20-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

The 650 differs from the 550 in that it will take the case and bullet feeders, as well as auto-advance with each stroke of the handle? Did I get that right?

Money isn't a significant limiting factor. I've sold most everything I had that wasn't a 9mm to plough back into shooting expenses, so I do have some funds to spare. I would prefer to just "cry once" and get the most service I can out of the machine.

Apart from the press and the dies, I'm told I need a case tumbler, scale, caliper, case lube, primer tubes and a filling machine if I can afford it. Is there anything else that should be on the list?

Loading manuals were also recommended as must-haves. As well as a sturdy workbench.

User Tag List