Thread: CTT Solutions Low Light

CTT Solutions Low Light

20170316-20170317 Richmond Gun and Rod Club

Instructor
    Mike Pannone; former USMC Force Recon, 1st Army Special Forces Group, Special Forces Operational Detachment - Delta and several training/advisory capacities throughout government and private entities before starting CTT Solutions in 2008.

Introduction
    Mike Pannone's reputation, experience, and overall effectiveness as an instructor has had me following his work over the past few years. The overall importance of understanding and learning how to effectively fight in low light is not only critical for my pursuit in an armed profession, but as a private citizen who could find myself in a critical low light situation.

Equipment
    Beretta 92G-SD with X300U-A w/ Unity Tactical Exo Cover, Sig P226 German frame, Glock 34 Gen 3 w/ X300U-A, HK P2000 w/ XC1.
    Safariland w/ UBL: ALS, SLS for Beretta, Glock and Sig
    Raven Concealment Morrigan for P2000 w/ XC1.
    HSGI Battlebelt with pistol tacos
    Off The Grid Concepts Pistol Eggrolls
    Surefire ED1 Defender

TD1 (Daylight)
    Mike was straight forward with what he expects from us. We did not dwell in the safety brief or introductions of who and what Mike is and has done. Over half of the class were prior students of Mike and others like myself, were new to the alumni.

After the brief, we kitted up and went up to the line. Mikee conducted a diagnosis of our foundation in shooting with us conducting drawstrokes and reloads from 7 yards. What he wanted to see was primarily our shooting proficiency and dexterity. There is to be a huge emphasis on dexterity throughout the course. Mike had us shoot two magazines and he went down the line correcting anything way out of proficiency. We went over shooting procedure and post shooting procedure. A lot of things that briefed well or theorized were quickly disproved by Mike's approach and explanation. He knocked me on simulating tracking the gun downward instead of bringing it back into a compressed ready position. He also talked about the theatrics of "searching and assessing," the differences of looking and seeing.

We then went onto shooting one handed, as majority of the light manipulations during the class was to be conducted one handed. Mike then went over handheld light techniques and the scientific breakdown of why he teaches head index and Harris technique for handheld lights. Conducting one handed shooting and reloads with a light still in the hand, its all very simple and not complicated at all. Mike broke down how to retain the handheld light when conducting a slide lock reload and magazine exchange ("tac reload"). This all came very fluid and easy to me as I watched Mike demonstrate the same technique in his Surefire Field Notes video and practiced the technique prior to going to the class.

We then went onto the moving portion. Started with shooting into the IPSC targets by advancing forward then shooting laterally onto 6" steel plates. Mike went over how we should be postured and how much weight should be orientated and shifted while moving and shooting. We started with shooting from left to right and then right to left. There were a number of students who could not connect and Mike kept barking "Sights and Trigger" at them. Most of the time, the students would slow to a complete stop in order to make their hits. After the first runs, Mike broke down how they were not making their hits and why they were not making their hits. Overpowering the gun by anticipation of recoil forces shooters to break their shots off the target. Over taking your angle of movement, forcing you to twist your body will only make shooting on the move harder for yourself. "Sights and Trigger" touches back onto the basic fundamental of shooting, once you have an acceptable sight picture then press the shot. It is what Mike replays in his head and it makes all the sense; short, simple, effective.

We broke down for dinner for an hour and talked about lights before going hands on with actually implementation of lights. Mike then talked about incandescent bulbs and LED lights, he did not go deep into lumens or candella talk but what is important in a light, is how intense the focused beam is. A handheld can have more focus and flood, but a weapon light should primarily have focus. Mike then talked about red dots on pistols, having a handheld over the pistol in a manner like an FBI search method or head index can possibly wash out the light. The reticle of the dot can overpower what you see in transitional lighting, taking experience of what has happened to him in the past with other red dots. A laser is good for low light, but is really dependent on how well you zero the laser and sights. Strobes, only gives you a snapshot of what you are trying to illuminate, ineffective. Side stepping in daylight, does nothing but waste time and effort. However, in the dark, it is a good idea to do so as it forces the threat to search for you as you have to move or conduct reloads, etc.

Overall, the key is that when the light goes on, the timer starts.

TD1 (Night)
    We went downrange as dusk started to settle in. Mike had us draw and look at our sights. He then picked me out as I was the first one on the line to have a fiber front sight visible. Mike pointed out that fibers at dusk were a lot more brighter than the perceived notion that tritium sights would stand out the most. Mike had me hold up my pistol next to his and the class took note of such.

What we had practiced in the day time, we were now implementing it as the sun went down. First, we started with head index and then Harris Technique. Mike had then work on our drawstroke with a handheld light in our support hand with reloads. Then we worked malfunctions with Tap-Rack with a handheld still in our hand. There was so much emphasis on dexterity like Mike stated. Those who relied heavily on seeing their weapon manipulations would severely behind the power curve. That being said, Mike was very effective in teaching and drilling into us the importance of dexterity with our handheld, magazine placement, weapon manipulation, and allocation prior to our live fire at night.

We ended the first night with moving laterally by implementing head index and Harris technique. A majority of the students did better at night due to the fact that they did not have to feel rushed while moving at night and shooting with a light. Mike was very impressed with how myself and a number of students still were able to conduct reloads and malfunction clearances on the move while maintaining light discipline. It goes back to the emphasis of whenever the light is on, the timer starts. We broke down for the night and Mike recapped what we have done. Everything done in the day time translated almost fluidly with everyone at night. Small fundamental mistakes were accounted for, but the biggest take away was how there were no safety violations or stupidity on the range. We all packed up and reported back the next afternoon.

TD2 (Daytime)
    We reported back to the range the next day and setup in a bigger bay. Mike gathered us around and we went over the safety brief and what to expect on day 2. Mike expressed that since the sun will not be going down earlier that day, that we will go over some material from his carry class with a lot of repetition on dexterity work.

So, we went up to the line and started on support hand draws and reloads. The support hand draw from a duty holster was common down the line as it was myself and a number of active duty LE personnel drawing from our Safariland SLS holsters that generally sits lower and bring it over high onto the support side to orientated it to a shooting position. We then got into reloading one handed, Mike did not want us to be reliant on utilizing our holster to stow the empty pistol to reload the gun. Instead, he wanted us to put the pistol behind our knee and kneel down to conduct the reload. Everything was intuitive in a sense from initial insertion of the magazine, insuring the magazine is seated, and sending the slide forward before reengaging. Then we did it support side; draw with support hand, fire the shot to slide lock, pin pistol behind knee, magazine insertion, insure magazine is seated, slide forward onto threat, reengage. Key note; wear knee pads.

We then went into the Rabbit Drill. The Rabbit Drill is a reactionary exercise that requires both shooter to face one another with one initiating the scenario and the other reacting and attempt to beat the person on firing a shot onto steel. I was using my Beretta with an SLS against an open top non duty holster and was still able to keep up with my partner. We then moved to utilizing only one handed draws with the light in our support hand. Mike was very adamant on making sure we only put good reps in with our draws and light positioning, it would not be productive to have a shot out with poor light presentation despite still training in the day time. I switched to a P2000 from a Raven Concealment Morrigan worn AIWB and my JM Custom AIWB holster for my Beretta, in the later part of the exercise.

Next, we put up the barricades to practice shooting from either side. Mike wanted us to be aware of how we were shining our lights because splash at close range from the head index only results in blinding whoever is behind the barricade and gun. Mike also wanted us to be aware of not popping up from the same point of shooting over and over if we had to fix a gun or conduct a reload. Small details that would be critical in a prolonged gunfight.

TD2 (Night)
    We then broke it down for dinner and this time, we had an extra hour while waiting for the sun to come down completely. Mike then had us shoot single hand at 8" steel from 25, 35 and 50 yards before it got dark enough to do everything that we had done in the day time. Going from left to right, working our handheld lights in the dark. Mike wanted us to be extra aware of the person we would wind up shooting next to, work on communicating with our fellow shooters. I noticed a few students still struggling with effective light discipline and implementation of Harris Technique but nonetheless, were still safe. Mike then had us work from the kneeling whenever we shot then from the prone. Slightly challenging and I wanted as much coverage from my position of cover without blinding myself from the close proximity of my handheld light. Mike then gave us the okay to use our weapon mounted lights, the X300U and TLR1s were plentiful throughout the runs.

Closing
    Mike called for a cease fire and gathered us around after we had cleared our guns. Mike discussed and recapped everything we have done for the past two days. We took down the barricades and policed up our gear before Mike handed out certificates. Mike talked about his company logo and his life's dedication to the service, fallen friends, and his passion to keep teaching.

Despite the actual hours of shooting because of the reliance of the sun, I felt that I had learned a ton. I studied whatever material Mike had put out throughout the years and my overall expectations of how the class went and how Mike carries himself was exceptional. There was no name dropping or unsupported bias expressed by Mike, everything was straight to the point with every statement, a learning experience. I am glad and very grateful that Mike only attracts serious shooters who already have sound fundamentals in weapons manipulation and how they carry themselves. No novices were in the class. Another benefit was the number of law enforcement officers who attended the class, both active and recently retired who are also instructors for their respective companies. The importance of consistently being relevant and applicable for anyone who carries a weapon in service or personal protection would greatly benefit and be enlightened by what Mike has to say and teach. Every single round fired in the course of two days, was definitely a learning experience.

Personal Notes
    -Dexterity trumps over the argument of gross vs fine motor skills, as it really comes down to ingraining the skills you already have with good repetitions. If I messed it up once, I would practice it two more times.

-Subconsciously fixing the problem; I encountered a number of double feeds or stoppages while shooting in the dark on day 2 with the barricades. Whether it was from bad magazines, ammo, or user error, I was still able to identify simply by feel (dexterity) and solve that malfunction without orientating any light towards my problem and continue on.

-The Surefire XC1 was indefinitely under powered even at 15 or so yards from where we were shooting from, lack of focus does not do well as a dedicated weapon light (my opinion).

-Be mindful of what type of handheld light you have. A lot of Streamlights have programmable or dual output. What Mike advises is two settings; On and Off.

-Head indexing the light, Z formation with the arm in relation with the elbow being able to guide the light. Very effective as a search method and engagement.

-Light goes on, timer starts. Break that shot where it needs to be!

I look forward to more classes with Mike, I would even retake this class again in the future.

Thank you Mike Pannone!
    Last edited by victran; 03-19-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Took the LE only class with Mike at Richmond a couple years ago. Highly recommended. Ran into him yesterday evening at Richmond during the USPSA match. Surprised he recognized me, Told him I had finally taken his advice and started shooting competition. He just smiled and said "Best thing you can do for your shooting."

One of these years schedules just might sync up. I was back in the south for a conference.

Glad it was a good class.

Mike is one of the best.

One note: I do believe the one flashlight technique mentioned is Harries, not Harris.

This sounds like a must have class. I would really like to take this class.

Could you list a some reasons as to why Mike favors the "head index" light technique?

Thanks!

User Tag List