Thread: XM193 vs. 55gr Gold Dot

XM193 vs. 55gr Gold Dot

I know that only one of these is on Doc's list, but can anyone comment on how much better the Gold Dot is for defensive purposes? I'm trying to decide if investing the extra money in the GD is worth it. Thank you.

An expanding, barrier blind bullet vs an FMJ that often acts like an ice pick or needs to yaw to be effective?

I'd go with the GD anytime :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    An expanding, barrier blind bullet vs an FMJ that often acts like an ice pick or needs to yaw to be effective?

I'd go with the GD anytime :-)
    Thank you for your response. I'll likely go that route. But, one of the things that makes me have hesitations about the 55gr GD is its performance through glass (only 7.5" of penetration after passing through glass). I like the performance of the 64gr GD, but I'm not sure how well a 1:9 would stabilize it. My other concern is that typical 55gr .223 practice ammo wouldn't match up with the 64gr GD in terms of POA/POI. Any thoughts?

1/9 will stabilize just fine for 64 grain. Since you referenced doc's list, he stated 1/9 or faster twist barrels for his recommended loads. To the second point, unless you are shooting at longer distances (150+ yards), I highly doubt you will notice much POA/POI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwr0055 View Post
    Thank you for your response. I'll likely go that route. But, one of the things that makes me have hesitations about the 55gr GD is its performance through glass (only 7.5" of penetration after passing through glass). I like the performance of the 64gr GD, but I'm not sure how well a 1:9 would stabilize it. My other concern is that typical 55gr .223 practice ammo wouldn't match up with the 64gr GD in terms of POA/POI. Any thoughts?
    I'm no real rifleman, so take what i say with a grain of salt, but I think it will be confirmed by those who know in depth what they're talking about.

A 1:9 barrel should have no problems stabilizing a 64gr bullet, it's only when you get to 70gr+ that you may have some trouble.

No two rifle loads are ever likely to have matching zeros, even with the same weight bullet if the bullets are different (soft point vs FMJ vs hollow point vs all copper etc..). However, as PearTree writes when it comes to practice ammo (unless your goal is to punch paper precisely at long distances)), it's not going to make enough of a difference to matter at or within 100 yards distance. Zero your rifle for your chosen defensive load, note the difference from your practice ammo (which shouldn't be much) and drive on.

I don't know the details of exactly which GD load does what best, but it is my impression that the 64gr load is a better general purpose load than the 55gr, while the latter might be better for home defense. One approach you can take (and others can and should disagree) is to pick the 64gr load for anytime you're out of the house, the 55gr for home (where the distances are small and exact zero matters less), and store those in a different magazine like a 20rd one, and use M193 or even some M855 for practice. Or just use the 64gr for all defensive purposes but really pay attention to your fields of fire inside your home (something we should all do anyway).

55, 62, and 64gr GDSP stabilize just fine in 1/7, 1/8, and 1/9 twists. Of those three, I would opt for the 62gr as it's sustainable in GDSP or Federal Fusion form. Am Eagle 62gr FMJ (AE223N) is a good pairing for a practice load. The 62 is quite accurate in my precision rifle.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

WB, I do something very similar. I have mags loaded with Hornady 55gr TAP "Urban" and Speer GD 55gr for in / around home.

Mags with Speer GD 64gr for off site (unless shooting from the deck or roof).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

M193 is great training ammo, GD for serious use. POI is close enough in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    M193 is great training ammo, GD for serious use. POI is close enough in my experience.
    It's ok ammo, but certainly not great.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List