Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rounds failing case gauge

Measurements are good for te taper crimp die. I figure bullet diameter of 0.356 + 2 x case mouth thicknes of 0.011-0.012 = about 0.379".

Somethign else to consider - a light bullet seated long vs. a heavy bullet seated short will result in very different bulges in a tapered 9mm case.

Also, drop the case into the hundo upside down. This can tell you if the problem is neat the case mouth or the case head.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions, once I get back home I will look into getting some answers on some of these questions. Pretty sure I need to go ahead and pick up a hundo case gauge to make life easier for myself--the one at a time stuff is time consuming for sure.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Check you're bullet diameter, if your new bullets are .359" instead of .356" then you're going to have to go to extreme measures to get it pass a case gauge and still be out of spec. Also check case OAL.

Make sure you case gauge is really clean, a little half wafer of powder hiding in there can throw a wrench in the works.

I'd start by checking cases at each step in the process starting with fired and unsized case. Then check after resizing, belling the case mouth, seating and crimping. That'd be with cases in all positions. Hopefully you can find the spot where things go south, and it's something easy to fix and not a tolerance stack of little things. If your machine is indexing incorrectly and bending cases at the sizing die, then looking at the seating depth is a step in the wrong direction.
    Last edited by txdpd; 03-20-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...he-plunk-test/

Cover a failure in marker, stick it in the barrel, twist it a little. The wear marks will give you clues.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Thanks once again everyone, really appreciate all the replies and things to look into.

Bullets (both 147gr and 125gr) measure 0.355" as expected.

Brass is all range pickups, mostly my own, but definitely a chance some is from those shooting major or something. And definitely mixed headstamps too--I'll start trying to keep track of where I see issues and if it's with particular markings.

So the 147gr were loaded to 1.125" OAL while the recipe I found for the 125's was 1.135" OAL. So I'll definitely dial that back and bit and give that a try--that may be my issue. I'll dial the powder charge back a tenth of a grain or so as well, although they didn't feel particularly "spicy" when I tested them. (load will be 125gr Blue Bullet, 1.125" OAL, 3.9gr HP38)

I'm running the Mr. BulletFeeder powder drop die as the coated bullets seem to do much better with the shape of bell it gives the case versus the factory powder drop die, but all others are Dillon factory at this time...I've been reading some about the "U-dies" and full length sizing dies--I assume those are different than the sizing/decapping die that came with my 650? I'll double check that die too to make sure that it's contacting the shell plate.

I'll also check my crimp...I think I measured some to be around 0.381" that I had issues with, so that could be part of the problem too. I'll see if I can get that back to around 0.380" or 0.379" and still not damage the coating on the bullets.

I'll try to check the other things folks mentioned too, and reply back when I get a chance to check things. Thanks once again, the help and suggestions are very much appreciated!
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

I don't think that COAL on your 147s is the issue; I load to 1.33 on mine. I crimp mine to about 0.37, I'd dial your crimp down just a little if I were you.

I think your problem is your taper crimp. Have you started from scratch and followed the directions on using it?
    #RESIST

I had the same issue. My crimp was .380-.381 when I set up my dies. I dialed it down to .376 and they pass 99% now.

Also, I've found that I have to clean out my case gauge. I just run a chamber brush through it. For whatever reason rounds that fail the case gauge will often pass after I clean out the inside of the case gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I had the same issue. My crimp was .380-.381 when I set up my dies. I dialed it down to .376 and they pass 99% now.

Also, I've found that I have to clean out my case gauge. I just run a chamber brush through it. For whatever reason rounds that fail the case gauge will often pass after I clean out the inside of the case gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am sure it passes the case gauge test more easily but I am pretty sure you are slightly over crimping at 0.356". Just add up the diameter of the coated blood plus the diameter of twice the thickness of the brass at the case mouth. That is my effective minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I am sure it passes the case gauge test more easily but I am pretty sure you are slightly over crimping at 0.356". Just add up the diameter of the coated blood plus the diameter of twice the thickness of the brass at the case mouth. That is my effective minimum.
    Think you misread that, GL. He said .376
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Think you misread that, GL. He said .376
    Thanks. I meant .376, still seems tight to me. Tried to respond when I didn't really have time.

User Tag List