Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rounds failing case gauge

So I think I made a breakthrough discovery on this issue related to my reloads at least. What I found was that the few that are failing case gauge right at the rim have very small almost imperceptible deformations on the outside edge of the case rim from prior extraction. The deformation is small enough that on some I can force them into the gauge and it flattens the flawed area enough to go in. To verify this I took one with the issue and lightly sanded the edge of the rim where the issue was and it fit fine in the gauge.

Something to check on those that aren't sizing or crimp related.
    Last edited by EMC; 04-01-2017 at 08:49 PM.

I don't generally mess with this for 9mm but for 223 I have salvaged many a case with similar issues using some rough sandpaper or a hand file.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Update. I loaded some rounds last week and didn't get much time to shoot them and or QC them. My hundo arrived late last week, and after getting a chance to shoot a few rounds and verify the load worked as expected, I loaded up a couple hundred more. I QC'd a total of 347 rounds. 5 needed a good push to come out of the hundo, everything else flopped out easily flipping it upside down or took a touch of the fingertip and no pressure. I should have picked up a hundo a long time ago...

ETA: I'm definitely liking happy with the new brass cleaning setup--no stainless pins, and using the Armor All Wash and Wax. No case line needed at all.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 04-09-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

A little One Shot will reduce reduce te effort required to re-size, even with the wash-n-wax. It also acts as an anti-tarnish and causes the cases to get gunky and pick up grime if over-used.

A little more lube helps softer cases from getting vertically squashed down vs. horizontally sized down in the re-sizing process.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 04-09-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

This may be a dumb question but is there a way to gauge the resized cases before putting a bullet in and crimping?

Noob question: what kind of case gauge do you guys use?

Is this one a decent option for 9mm?

9mm Case & Ammunition Gauge - For Checking Your Reloads & Ammo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012P0BP42..._QE2aAbYP6HMB5

Anything other than a hundo isn't even worth doing unless it's a one off (which you can just use a pistol barrel for).
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I just picked a EGW 7 hole checker and have been happy with it. Saves from having to tear apart a gun until I have money for a hundo.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Anything other than a hundo isn't even worth doing unless it's a one off (which you can just use a pistol barrel for).
    Damn. $100.

Eh I dunno. I’ve been lining up random cartridges from the same box and playing the ‘do any of these not look like the rest’ trick.

I don’t shoot 000’s of reloads so I think I’ll be ok. Thanks for the info guys.

I used to do that. Now I just look at all the primers when they're in the plastic case to make sure they'll all go off.
    Last edited by Peally; 11-08-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List