Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rounds failing case gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I used to do that. Now I just look at all the primers when they're in the plastic case to make sure they'll all go off.
    Same here. I lube my pistol cases so sizing is silky smooth and never short stroke the handle. Once I make sure everything is coming out the way I like it it's not changing unless the dies comes loose.

I might spot check one every few hundred rounds and always eyeball the rounds as I place them in my ammo boxes for unique ones but that's it. No need to mic or gauge every round.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I shot about 300 rounds yesterday of case gauge failures from my latest batches of maybe 3000+ rounds, looks like 10%. This included failures from 1000 loaded with an experimental powder funnel that crimped very stranglely and 2000 loaded with a Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel. I was running about a 5% failure rate with the last 2000. There were probably other CG failures from earlier runs in there as well.

About 7 rounds would not go into battery on a pair of Gen 3 Glock 19's and were difficult to remove. I had to hold the slide in my weak hand and strike the grip with my strong hand to get the round to extract. With my Tanfo Stock 2 in past sessions shooting CG failures I might get a round to two that won't go into battery.
    So your case gauge showed 10% failure, but only 2-3% of those wouldn't chamber. Correct? If my math is correct that's a fraction of a percent from the 3K that won't actually chamber.

I don't use a case gauge so I have no idea if my ammo would pass or fail. My 150s are seated as long as I can make them and still have them chamber, so as long as I keep an eye on OAL I have no problems.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Anything other than a hundo isn't even worth doing unless it's a one off (which you can just use a pistol barrel for).
    I need a hundo. #PoorFag
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    In reloading good ammo batch after batch over time, we depend on uniformity to assist us. Range brass can introduce variables that might affect achieving 100% success. For example, some brass brands are thicker or thinner than the cases used to set up the equipment. Likewise, some are longer or shorter. And then, some of this free brass might have been loaded to extreme pressure and fired in handguns that tend to produce bulged cases anyway. Brass that has been fire many times will become work hardened and hence loses its specified degree of softness.
    This softness allows it to be resized to a certain dimension and maintain it afterwards. Work hardened brass will tend to spring back past that desired dimension. Cast bullets lubed with traditional lubes are messy, and eventually lube will accumulate in the seating and crimp dies. This accumulation will affect original settings.

So what is the op doing wrong? Probably nothing. I suggest that he separate the culls for study. Inspection of brass before loading will help. As long as he is using range brass, he can expect changes in uniformity. Ranges are great sources for brass, and range brass is good for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    So what is the op doing wrong? Probably nothing. I suggest that he separate the culls for study. Inspection of brass before loading will help. As long as he is using range brass, he can expect changes in uniformity. Ranges are great sources for brass, and range brass is good for practice.
    In the end, I dialed in my depriming/sizing die a touch better, probably moved the powder funnel/case expander a touch, and also dialed in the crimp a bit better. All these things combined helped, but I’m guessing it may have been more the crimp than anything. Even with my pick-up brass I still use (and don’t, and won’t sort), I may have about 1-2 rounds out of 100 that don’t fall freely into and out of my Hundo case gauge (and this so SO worth the money). The rounds that are a tight fit, or barely sit up in the Hundo get segregated to a baggie for practice ammo. In the last few months I’ve had a couple rounds that had to be “erased” due to a cracked case or something I didn’t notice before reloading it, but those definitely get caught in the Hundo.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

User Tag List