Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 double tap?

Beretta 92 double tap?

I am not even sure what a "double tap" is except 2 rapid shots in succession. My 92A1 has a short trigger reset (prob 0.25-0.375") . I intentionally tried 2 shots as fast as possible by allowing forward trigger movement only as far as needed to quickly shoot a 2nd shot. One trial it seemed like fully auto for 2 shots, it was so fast. It is a new pistol with 700 shots in 2 months. For you guys that know, is it possible for it to go full auto OR was I just right on trigger pull technique?
    Last edited by Rmiked; 03-19-2017 at 09:02 AM.

I've got more rounds through an M9 than I could ever hope to count. I've watched soldiers shoot even more. I'm sure there are guys with far more through it than me, and guys who have seen far more rounds through it than me. But I've seen a lot. Fast double taps can happen. Sometimes even unintentionally, which usually leaves the shooter with a bewildered look. When I say fast I mean REALLY fast. I'm willing to bet you just hit your reset and squeeze with perfect timing.

I'm not a Beretta expert or armorer, so I can't say that a gun would or wouldn't go fully automatic given the right circumstances of wear/breakage. I can say that a new Beretta with a 700 round count it seems incredibly unlikely to me that it is going full auto or doubling on a single pull.

-Cory

How fast is fast? Did you compare split times to known standards? Given that legitimate splits in the .15 to .21 range are not uncommon, this can sound quite like mechanical rapid fire just through manual manipulation alone.

The DA to SA transition can also result a in very suprised break if pushing split speeds, as trigger travel distance and weight gets shorter. This can be accentuated by lack of proper grip for recoil control, leading to unexpected but user induced shot going downrange, especially before a proper sight picture is re-established.

sounds like you are getting used to your new pistol.

get a timer, measure what you are doing. how fast can you draw and get 2 on target (say an 8" circle, which is the down 0 zone on a IDPA target) at different distances? the timer will also record the times between shots.

Yes, I think I timed the reset perfectly but I was surprised how fast it was. I have seen u-tubes of skilled guys doing double taps. I am glad to hear others having "real fast" double taps. Yes, getting use to new pistol. I love this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    I am not even sure what a "double tap" is except 2 rapid shots in succession. My 92A1 has a short trigger reset (prob 0.25-0.375") . I intentionally tried 2 shots as fast as possible by allowing forward trigger movement only as far as needed to quickly shoot a 2nd shot. One trial it seemed like fully auto for 2 shots, it was so fast. It is a new pistol with 700 shots in 2 months. For you guys that know, is it possible for it to go full auto OR was I just right on trigger pull technique?
    I seriously doubt that your pistol went full auto and suspect you most likely fired two shots with a near perfect timing.

That said, a much more useful metric is how fast you can fire two aimed shots, and hit a reasonable​ target, rather than how quickly you can just crank on the trigger twice in a row. Try setting up something like an NRA B8 bull at say 7 yards and work on getting a pair of hits on the black of that target.

Fast is fast. What about the accuracy? I can fingerbang two shots off in .15 splits with a variety of platforms, but I can't hit a cardinal direction with most of them at that rate. Without sounding like a jerk, if you're intentionally just trying to make the banging noise as fast as you can, you're probably headed the wrong direction for becoming a competent and safe pistol shooter.

To your question, you probably had what I like to call an "unintentional" double. Even if you meant to fire two shots, if the second shot surprised the poop out of you and didn't go where you expected, you're outdriving your headlights, or in this case, outshooting your sights. I SINCERELY doubt there's a mechanical issue with your Beretta. But, if it happens again, have a competent gunsmith take a look.

I'm guessing you're just being surprised by the short, light SA trigger on the 92 series pistols...

Get a shot timer and measure the time between shots. If the times are like .10 then that's fast. Is it's .25-.35, that's normal.

Yes, I was just trying to do a "double-tap" w/o regard to accuracy. I saw it on a utube and couldn't believe how fast. I realize if the shot doesn't find its target you are just making noise. I really like the short, crisp trigger reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    Find a USPSA club near you and give it a shot. You'll get to see some pretty capable shooters, see what really fast double taps are and become far better than you ever thought possible.

99.99999999% chance that you got lucky on that double tap and tripped the trigger faster than normal not that it went full auto for an extra shot.

User Tag List