Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any 4506 owners here?

Site Supporter
    Timely post.

I just scored a 645 in really good shape. I was actually looking for a 4516-2... or maybe a 4506-1... but the 645 came up on Armslist for a good price, so I said what the hell. The gun is just... so freakin cool. And so unquestionably reliable. I didn't shoot it great the first time out. The trigger seems to break really far back, and the grips are a little narrow... I might try some aftermarket options (Hogue wood grips came highly recommended).

No experience with the 4506. But... from what I've read... the 4506 is basically an updated 645. Whereas the 4506-1 is basically a 1006 chambered in .45. They eliminated the lightening cuts on the frame, and beefed up the slide (I think) to handle the 10mm... and just decided to use that beefed-up version for their full-sized .45. Also, the trigger guard is rounded.

I love the DA/SA Smiths. I've always thought they were underrated guns. I wish Smith would resurrect them in some form; they currently don't have a DA/SA offering.

The 645 was my first semi-auto duty gun when we transitioned from revolvers and later on I carried the 4506 as its replacement. Both were dead-nuts reliable and shot to POA with the factory sights, but I much preferred the 4506.

I've never really cared for traditional DA platforms, but my 4506 was a sweet shooter and I learned to shoot it pretty well. It also comfortably handled hot +P loads without issue. If the factory still supported those 3rd Gen guns I'd still have one, I suspect.

As a side note: We also carried the 4516 at the same time and it was a turd.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    As a side note: We also carried the 4516 at the same time and it was a turd.
    Yeah, I heard the no dash and dash 1 versions of that gun could be problematic. If I ever get one, it's gonna be a dash 2.

I bought one in 1990 for an off duty gun after we traded our revolvers for 5906s because 45. I had a Kramer IWB for it. I sold the gun to a friend in 2007 but it developed some functioning issue. I sent it back and S&W replaced it with a new one. They must have just happened to be doing a run of them at the time

I still have mine that I bought in the late 1980's. It has the arched backstrap and shrouded adjustable sights. Like Sherman A. House, I don't shoot mine much. I got into 1911's shortly after getting the 4506, and it has seen very little use.

Bought a police trade -1 a few years back for a very good price, went stem to stern and replaced every spring in the gun, installed a decock only safety lever, it runs flawlessly, good accuracy, but it is almost purely a Sonny Crockett fantasy nostalgia piece for me just like my 645. Like Dr. House, I take it off the rack and admire it more than I ever carry or shoot it.

Back in the late 90's when I took LFI I, it was the gun Mas was carrying and shooting. Watching him shoot it, and manage it proved to me that it is a capable gun for somebody who puts the time in. Were it not so ponderously large I might have been tempted to dump my P220 (primary CCW back then) for one. But I did not. Even with a good holster it feels like trying to conceal a box of Wheaties...
    Last edited by fatdog; 03-18-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Were it not so ponderously large I might have been tempted to dump my P220 (primary CCW back then) for one. But I did not. Even with a good holster it feels like trying to conceal a box of Wheaties...
    On paper, the 4506, P220, and 1911 are all pretty much in the same ball park (realizing the weight difference with the aluminum framed P220) size-wise. However, every time I get the feeling a Government Model 1911 is just too big, I pull out the 4506 and realize just how sleek the 1911 is in comparison.

Went through the Academy with a Italian manufactured Beretta 92F--put about 35,000 rounds through that pistol with NO malfunctions. Next agency had P220's and 4566s; tried the P220 (w/the abysmal 8 rd mags) and had nothing but troubles, so switched to the heavier, but very reliable 4566 on duty and 3913 off duty and had no issues. After completing the SWAT handgun course, was able to run a 1911, so got rid of the 4566 & 3913...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Wouldn't be my first choice for a defensive gun but hey, they sure look cool. I remember oogling a used on in a store a few years ago. Every time I went in that place I fondled it but I didn't feel like paying over $500 and they wouldn't come below $550. Wish I would have just paid the extra $50. That's the kind of thing you look back on and don't worry about the price compared to the enjoyment you got out of it. I'll get one eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    On paper, the 4506, P220, and 1911 are all pretty much in the same ball park (realizing the weight difference with the aluminum framed P220) size-wise. However, every time I get the feeling a Government Model 1911 is just too big, I pull out the 4506 and realize just how sleek the 1911 is in comparison.
    Just for kicks I weighed a 5" 1911 and my 645. The 645 weighed 2 ounces more. When held together the 645 and 1911 were pretty much the same size, but the 645 seems like a much larger gun.

User Tag List