Thread: SP2022 Auto-Forwarding

SP2022 Auto-Forwarding

I recently took a new-to-me Sig SP2022 in 9mm out to the range. I put 578 rounds through it in two sessions with no cleaning and had no malfunctions. However, on the second trip out, the slide started auto-forwarding when I slammed a magazine in. The gun still auto-forwarded after I field stripped it, cleaned it, and test fired it with carry ammo.

I have been able to replicate this issue with each of 5 magazines, both with live ammo and snap caps, as well as when the gun had no magazine in it.

Is this a concern? Is it a known issue with this model? What could be causing the slide to go forward when a magazine is seated hard? I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Tom. How can I tell if those parts need to be replaced?

Thank you very much!

Site Supporter
    The only problem I've had with my slide stop lever is what Tom mentioned above: the right hand thumb rides the lever and keeps it from locking to the rear.

Replacement slide stops are ~$30 shipped from SIG - I bought an extra to play with removng bits of metal from the shelf to see if I can make the gun work for me without retraining my grip. I don't intend to retrain my grip - I'll either fix it this way, or move on to a gun that is more compatible.

The slide stop lever is an MIM part, made in India, for what it's worth. Seems to be a very well made part.

User Tag List