Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 208: FBI Bullseye Course (Modified)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Highest I ever shot calm in practice was a 299 with a Beretta 92FS Inox. I think I shot a 293 demonstrating the drill for students (also a Beretta)... That was with the FBI dimensions - not a B-8. For those of you on the ragged edge of cleaning it... The FBI bullseye is NOT the same as a B-8. I believe the 10 and 9 rings are slightly larger with the same practical dimensions for the 8 ring.
    While I always thought the two bulls were the same, I read this and wondered. So....I went out to my target stash and got an NRA official B-8 and an official FBI bull (LE Targets FBI-IP 1) and a caliper. Following are the diameters of the 10 rings and the nine ring (the bull image):

FBI:

10 Ring - 3.355" (8.84 square inches)
    9 Ring - 5.455" (23.37 square inches)

NRA B-8:

10 Ring - 3.35" (8.81 square inches)
    9 Ring - 5.55" (24.19 square inches)

So, the FBI's 10 ring is a TINY bit wider and its overall bullseye image diameter is a bit smaller than the B8. Sounds like a wash to me on that. The FBI's eight ring is 0.2" wider overall than the B-8, but I can't get overall dimensions of the two eight rings with my caliper.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 03-23-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    While I always thought the two bulls were the same, I read this and wondered. So....I went out to my target stash and got an NRA official B-8 and an official FBI bull (LE Targets FBI-IP 1) and a caliper. Following are the diameters of the 10 rings and the nine ring (the bull image):

FBI:

10 Ring - 3.355" (8.84 square inches)
    9 Ring - 5.455" (23.37 square inches)

NRA B-8:

10 Ring - 3.35" (8.81 square inches)
    9 Ring - 5.55" (24.19 square inches)

So, the FBI's 10 ring is a TINY bit wider and its overall bullseye image diameter is a bit smaller than the B8. Sounds like a wash to me on that. The FBI's eight ring is 0.2" wider overall than the B-8, but I can't get overall dimensions of the two eight rings with my caliper.
    Thanks for checking that Wayne! Much appreciated.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gen3 G34
    Freestyle

Anything you noticed: Several things. First, I was REALLY happy to shoot this score. Second, and I already knew this - I don't know what slow fire is. Well, I know what it is, but I can almost never make myself actually do it. Even with 4 minutes for ten shots at 25 yards, I shot 5, dismounted the gun and rested for a few seconds, then shot another five. I'd guess I took about 30-40 seconds total, using ALL THE TIME that I felt would contribute to my most accurate shooting (whether that's right or wrong.) Even taking that long was kind of excruciating. I especially surprised myself with the 15 yards/15 second strings, shooting way, way better than I'd have guessed. Maybe it's just that I rarely shoot slowfire groups at 15 yards, even when I did spend a bunch of time on untimed groups. Anyway, very happy with my results.

[img]20170322_174834 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]
    Lord of the Food Court

Nice shooting Mr_White. It is excruciating at 25, no doubt. I can't bring myself to use anywhere near the full time, but over the years, I have gotten better at it. I think it's a clue that the best Bullseye shooters do use most of the time, but I'm not sure how that applies to my interests beyond this one test.

Thanks!
    Lord of the Food Court

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Nice shooting Mr_White. It is excruciating at 25, no doubt. I can't bring myself to use anywhere near the full time, but over the years, I have gotten better at it. I think it's a clue that the best Bullseye shooters do use most of the time, but I'm not sure how that applies to my interests beyond this one test.
    I just fire 10 single shots from a good ready position for each shot. Keeps me from trying to hang in too long on a shot that shouldn't be fired in a string of shots and is a decent practice at precisely aiming the gun at distance.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 03-23-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I just fire 10 single shots from a good ready position for each shot. Keeps me from trying to hang in too long on a shot that shouldn't be fired in a string of shots and is a decent practice at precisely aiming the gun at distance.
    That's what I do as well.

Glock 17 TALO
    Freestyle
    260 points

While I marked it out in the photo, one of those holes off the paper belongs to this effort.

I started with a pretty good string at 25:

10 down but a good 10. The left drift is all trigger press. I then ran the 15/15 strings too fast, dropping 5 and 3; and then LOST MY MIND on the two ten second strings, throwing 22 points.

I would like to re-run this.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Beretta 92G
    Freestyle

Disappointed in my score, but glad to have another benchmark to measure my improvement. As you can see from my 25 yard string and one of my 15 yard strings, I shot left throughout the drill. In this case, I think it was because I recently installed the new Wilson Combat sight that Les designed. Nice sight Les, thanks.

I had not shot beyond 10 yards since installing the sights. I will shoot it again after a sight adjustment. Also, I plan to follow the advice of Wayne/SLG and fire the 25 yard string one shot at a time. In the future, when I install new sights, I need to check my sights at ranges longer ranges than 10 yards.

A frustrating 245, freestyle with an M&P40. I had two outside the scoring rings

User Tag List